News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: Acute Pain in Left Arm radiating throughout the arm

sudhakarn - Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:57 pm

Hi - For last couple of days, I'm getting acute pain in my left arm. Some of the characteristics I noted are
- Pain starts somewhere around muscle below elbow and radiates through out the arm
- couldn't find any specific pain point in the arm
- Only the Left Arm has the pain. No other area reflects the pain
- Pain occurs at some intervals only - ( say every 3-4 hours). Pain persists for few minutes 15-20 mins and disappears
- Pain starts by itself. Not triggered by any specific activity :-(
- It all started one night during sleep ( thought I was sleeping too much to the left side).
- No injuries, stressful activities performed before the pain started.

It's bearable at this point. I can go on with my activities with out any impact, but during nights pain is little more to wake me up.

What could be the cause. And what kind of doctor I should be visiting?
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:48 am

I am assuming that you have no neck or shoulder pain which would exclude a cervical or shoulder condition radiating pain to the left upper limb.

I am also accepting your description that the pain is only felt at the elbow and below, ie the forearm.

You have not stated if the pain is on the medial (inner) or lateral (outer) aspect of the elbow. One of the most common causes of elbow pain is tennis elbow and the pain is located on the lateral side of the elbow. The patient usually has difficulty in holding a heavy object at arm's length and there may be a history of recent excessive activity involving the elbow. If the pain is on the medial aspect, the condition may be golfer's elbow. Please note that the two conditions are not necessarily related to tennis or golfing activities.

It is advisable to consult an orthopaedic surgeon for diagnosis.

Dr Anthony Solomon
MB BS DTM&H DIP.VEN FRSM
 Xeron - Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:47 pm

I am no doctor but that sound alot like tendonitis,
Did you happen to have your arm leaning against something when it starts?
Such as your knees/hard armrest ????

Anywho, I would go to the doctor about this as he is the one who has the schooling, not I.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here