News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: Are enlarged lymph nodes a symptom of Fibromyalgia?

CW82 - Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:32 am

Hi

I have been diagnosed with FM for around one year now and have been far from satisfied with the information given by my own doctor. I have a few symptoms that I'm not sure are FM related but ever since the diagnosis any health complaint I have has been put down to me having FM. I have extremely enlarged (approx 1 inch) lymph nodes recurring mainly around my underarm or groin. This has been ongoing for several months now. I also have almost daily migraines and severe sensitivity to flashing or very bright lights which manifests itself into nausea and often vomiting.

I'm not sure if I'm being overly critical or paranoid but I am finding my quality of life almost unbearable at the moment and the attitude of my doctor quite dismissive. I have been refused additional pain medication as the doctor thinks I ought to manage with what I have at the moment but I am often in tears from the pain when just moving from a chair or my bed to the bathroom with my legs having what feels like a searing burning pain going through them which lasts for hours sometimes. I have also been refused medication to aid my sleep and, while I'm aware that such drugs can be habit-forming and doctors aren't very happy to prescribe these, I am just getting desperate now for a decent night's sleep. I lie in bed after doing all the things I am told to - milky drink, quiet atmosphere, warm bath etc. etc. until 5am most nights and I end up just trying to get 'power naps' during the day when I can. I don't feel like I am being taken seriously. I have had ANA test done some time ago as my Mum thinks I show all the symptoms of SLE (which she has) which came back negative and I had my thyroid checked last summer and this was fine also.

I would be ever so grateful if you could have a look over this and give me your professional opinion. I have seen a few different doctors but as I have mentioned before the FM seems like a 'catch-all' diagnosis and I am just told to go home and try additional vitamins and supplements and the like. I feel like I wasting people's time. Please accept my apology for writing so much but I want you to have as much information as possible. I do suffer quite badly with anxiety and stress which is managed by the anti-depressant Escitalopram but I am a reasonably intelligent person and know I'm not a hypochondriac but I do worry this is how my doctors see me.

Many thanks in advance for responding to my query. I really appreciate you taking time to read this.

Kind regards,
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:28 am

User avatar Hello,Chronic fatigue syndrome is a severe debilitating fatigue with symptoms going on for atleast for 6 months with any four of joint pains,muscle pains,sorethroat,unrefereshing sleep,post exertion malise,lymphadenopathy,malaise.
Here the lymphnodes are mobile nontender and involve the axillary and inguinal nodes and are transient.
If there is persisting lympadenopathy,or large fixed nodes your doctor may advise an FNAC ie Fine Neddle Aspiration Cytology for diagnosis.
Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here