Question: Strange pain where right leg meets lower abdomen

Riot Nrrrd™ - Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:11 pm

For a short while (month of so) now I've had this comes-and-goes sensation (luckily it's not painful enough to call it "pain" yet) in my lower right side. I'd get it below the kidney at the top of the hip, sometimes it would be around the front, sometimes around the back, and now it seems to have settled pretty much right along the "fold" where my leg meets my lower abdomen. It feels like it's deep inside the leg/thigh. I'm baffled. I have no Prostate Cancer symptoms and had a Prostate Exam (all clear) last year. It's vaguely like a full bladder pain (but not really) but much lower in the body and it's still there when I've already urinated (and have no urinary tract symptoms). I've had an umbilical hernia so I'm aware of the phenomenon of having a pain located somewhere besides the actual problem area; but this is right in the place where the leg meets the abdomen and I thought there was nothing there but veins (and my fat blubber, lol).

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I've never experienced this sort of sensation/pain before. The fact that it's now chronic makes me worried (my father's side has a history of circulation problems; two of my uncles lost a leg to circulatory disease later in life), but I haven't a clue what the cause might be.
 drgreghaitz - Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:30 pm

User avatar Have you considered a muscle or hip joint pathology? I see alot of patients with tight hip flexor muscles (psoas muscle) that present as a wierd sensation in the inguinal area that you are describing. Try a good hip stretch or consider seeing an ART practitioner. Search http://www.activerelease.com for a provider in your area. Dr. Haitz
 Riot Nrrrd™ - Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:56 pm

Thanks Dr. Haitz. I hadn't considered a muscle or hip joint pathology, no - I don't even know what those are :) (But I'll look it up)

Just wanted to add to what I said:

(1) There's no bulge or pain when I press on the inguinal area, so I don't think it's an inguinal hernia or similar.

(2) I feel the sensation (when it's there, that is) most when I lift my right leg to put on my underwear/pants (maybe I just need to do a lot of leg lifts?).

(3) I looked at a diagram of the area and my best guess at echo-locating the most common location of the sensation would be probably in the genitofemoral nerve region. I do see that that's right above the actual hip joint, so I guess that goes back to your hip joint pathology recommendation.

Thanks very much for your quick reply.

|