Question: Gout, Rheumatoid Arthritis OR both?

portalbuzz - Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:10 pm

My doctor diagnose me with Gout around late 2009. I started having Joint pain about 2 years ago on and off (not severe) But I also have pain in bones not just joints on and off (ex. My left Tibia Bone..a throbing pain)(also left front shoulder and humerous bone, which only last a few hours or a day on and off.) Blood test Revealed high Uric Acid levels so he put me on Uloric which has lowered my Uric acid levels to normal range BUT I have a constant pain on two fingers especially my Right hand ring finger (next to Pinky) on the Joint nearest to the tip of that finger....But my doctor says "Well it cant be Gout because your Uric acid levels are under control and gout is mainly on the foot" (Big toe Joint)...So my question is since I have had on and off Bone pain (not ONLY in joints) Can this be something else?

Any help would be appreciated

Thank you

Portalbuzz
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:51 pm

Hello, portalbuzz,

I'm pleased for you that your gout is under control - sometimes that is a very difficult thing to do. You must be cooperating fully with any dietary restrictions, as well as being compliant with your medications. I congratulate you! Regarding your other pains, it's often very difficult to tell if it is actual bone pain or deep muscle pain. I encourage you to ask your doctor for a complete physical examination to determine if there is an obvious underlying cause for your pains; ask him to include X-rays or any scans he may feel are indicated. In the interim, please maintain a daily record of the pains - the location, duration, what you were doing at the time they occurred, and if anything helped relieve them, such as postural adjustments or medication. Take your record with you when you see your doctor to discuss the complete physical. It will help him determine any diagnostic pattern and may suggest if a neurological or rheumatological (or other) evaluation is indicated. It's entirely reasonable that you would be feeling some anxiety about all this, and anxiety can accentuate pain. Ask your doctor to consider that aspect, as well. I hope this is helpful to you.

Good luck!
 portalbuzz - Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:34 am

Hi, Faye Lang, RN,

Thank You very much for taking the time to reply to my post as I know you must be very busy....sorry i haven't replied it's just that I thought no one was ever going to respond...as to my diet..I have to laugh because I'm far from being on any kinda of managed diet for my condition ..but I have been taking my Uloric 40mg every day and it has help considerably, a few pains here and there, especially when I get out of bed upon waking up...but very mild. If I miss my dose 1 or 2 consecutive times my joints will start hurting Very much (especially my finger joints and left big joint toe...so I try not to miss it at all. I tried Colchicine once before two 0.6mg pills and it really worked but had Diarrhea a few hours later never tried it again also heard it can rapidly build up in your body and cause serious problems even death...so I'll just stick with Uloric it's great and hardly feel any pains and no side effects. As to my other Bone pains..I havent felt any for a while so I'm guessing it's part of my gout and the Uloric is helping with that as well. Well thanks again and sorry for the long post. : )

Thank you
very much
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:06 pm

Hi portalbuzz,

Thank you so much for the update! I'm glad you're doing as well as can be expected, and I hope it continues. Good luck!

|