Question: Left thumb locked 6mo ago, now Right locking with pain hands

Chattagal - Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:10 pm

About 6 months ago my left thumb started to lock. The general practicioner didnt think it was a big deal. I thought it was trigger thumb and purchased a pharmacy brace. It helped a little while but now it is permanentaly locked and I cannot bend it. (I am a lefty) Now my right thumb is starting to lock through out the day. I find my self making fists to stretch my hands. Typing on the computer is sometimes painful. My pinky and ring fingers on both hands usually cause a dull achy pain that I try not to pay attention to. I Have taken anti inflammatories, but I don't like to take a lot of meds. The left thumb sometimes has a little swelling, but 95% of the time there is no swelling. I take a lot of vitamins. should I take a bioflex vitamin or joint vitamin too?

Are there any remedies I can do at home? Should I ice them or heat them? I do not have insurance. I currently have cataracts and cannot fix them. I just started onglyza a week ago and my sugar has dropped 100 points every day consistently. Fasting is now 124-135. I do not qualify for any medical aid.
Thank you so much for your time and assistance.
chattagal

I feel good and have not had a seizure in more than 6 months. I am just concerned that my digits are freezing up and I am not sure why.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:06 pm

Hello, Chattagal,

Under usual circumstances, the progressive nature of your hand difficulties would likely fall into the category of arthritis. However, to confirm that or to recommend the most appropriate treatment would require evaluation by your doctor. Such a condition left untreated can result in deformity and limited use. The vitamins you asked about are not generally effective treatment, although some doctors recommend them as an adjunct to their regular treatment. If your doctor finds that your problem is arthritis, he or she will likely recommend heat rather than ice. Some people find that leaving supper dishes until morning, so that they start their day with their hands in hot water, is beneficial. Anti-inflammatories are often recommended. I encourage you to return to your doctor, since your condition appears to be progressing. I hope this is helpful to you.

Good luck!

|