Question: Elevated ANA level Possible complications

jwhitley1 - Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:37 pm

I am a seventeen year old girl. when i was younger i had elevated ANA levels went to a specialist nothing changed and said i was fine and would know if anything happened with it. i have had back and neck pain for several years now my back pain is right before my butt bone and my neck pain is right above my shoulder. my neck feels like a burning sensation and it pops all the time even if im not trying to pop it. my back pain however feels like a throbbing sort of pain and when i lay on my back it feels like my spine is caving in. i was xrayed once by my family doctor who said i have muscle spasms? im not sure about that. I also get frequent staph infections (MRSA) and have seen a infectious disease doctor they still come back though.And i almost always wind up in the hospital. I continue to get weird things like parvo and recently had a swollen lymphnode in my abdomen. i also was told that i had shingles one time but have never had the chicken pox. i was just wondering if there was any sort of link between all of this. i have been treated sepreatly for each thing but now one has looked at my health record as a whole.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:24 pm

Hello jwhitley1,

What a distressing situation for you. Perhaps you can ask your parents to help advocate for you to have a complete physical examination, with evaluation by both rheumatology and neurology, as well. The elevated ANA is of concern to me, and an autoimmune condition would be entirely compatible with the symptoms and difficulties that you describe. However, both rheumatological and neurological issues need to be evaluated. If everything is determined to be negative and a psychological evaluation is suggested, by all means pursue it, since you must be having considerable anxiety about the symptoms that you are experiencing. I don't believe that a psychological disturbance will be found to be the underlying cause of your condition, however. A CT or MRI of your sacroiliac joints may also be helpful in determining the underlying cause. I encourage your parents to discuss with your doctor that it is time to explore this situation in depth.

I hope this is helpful to you, and I wish you good luck.
 jwhitley1 - Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:13 pm

UPDATE: I have been feeling even worse lately. Im having sever abdominal pain, headaches, weakness all over, on and off fevers, and headaches and vomiting for about two weeks now. i went to the doctor and had blood work done my crp level is 1.9 mg/dl my igG level is 14 and my igA level is less than three . We havent sat down and disscussed the results yet however i just keep getting worse and worse. i went to urgent care and they did an x-ray to see if i had a kidney stone nothing showed but he still gave me an antibiotic and pain killer. I cant help but wonder what is really wrong with me.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:18 pm

Hi jwhitley1,

I'm so sorry that you're having such a hard time. I hope that by the time you read this, the problem has been identified. An autoimmune condition is certainly a possibility. Please keep us updated.

I wish you all the best.

|