Question: Pain on my left side

camara - Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:46 pm

Hello, could anyone please help me about a pain I have been getting on my Left side - it seems to be under my ribcage on my back and sometimes I feel it on my side and it comes slightly to the front, where my ribcage is on the front. When I lay down on my left side, it feels very uncomfortable and it feels like i have knot or something underneath that hurts when i put pressure on it (from lying on my side on the mattress). The pain is usually constant, and ive been having it for almost 4 years now. Sometimes I have it for days in a row, then it goes away, but even if the pain is not there as much, if i bend forward and touch my ribs on the back, I feel there is a hard lump - or it could be a bone, but it hurts if I put pressure on it. The pain can be described as that of a toothache - dull and grinding. But sometimes I get sharp pangs of pain, but usually there is just a dull constant ache, which gets worse when I lie down on my left side. But the pain can be night or day. I only feel it more at night because then I am lying down on my side.

If you have any idea what this could be, please let me know! All knowledge and help welcomed. Should I see a doctor and get a scan?

Kind Regards,
Camara
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:28 pm

Of course, you should see a doctor for investigation of any chronic pain. Four years is quite a long time to be symptomatic without an evaluation. I am confident it is not difficult to book an appointment with doctors in Holland.

The site of your pain, assuming that your description is correct, is the anatomical location of the left kidney. An abdominal ultrasound may provide some clues.

Dr Anthony Solomon
MB BS DTM&H DIP.VEN FRSM
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine
 camara - Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:19 am

Thank you, I will indeed get a check up.

C

|