News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: arthritis in the back or something else ?

SandyH. - Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:02 am

For the past 6 months or so I have had pain in my back. It is located below my rib cage on the left side. When I sneeze or cough it hurts. I am starting to have trouble sleeping at night. My doctor said I have arthritis in my middle and lower back but this doesn't feel like that . It feels like a lump or sometimes it feels like someone punched me. At times it feels like a muscle spasm . Can you give me some ideas ?
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:47 am

At your age, it is important to investigate a persistent flank or back pain to exclude sinister causes.

The area you describe is the anatomical location of the left kidney. It is therefore mandatory to undergo imaging investigations of the urinary tract. A renal ultrasound will provide information on the state of your kidneys, ureters and urinary bladder. Get your prostate gland tested simultaneously with a trans-rectal ultrasound of the prostate gland (TRUP).

To confirm or exclude arthritic conditions of the middle and lower back, ask for a radiological survey of the lumbo-sacral spine. You are suffering with pain and sleep disturbance, and are therefore entitled to know the cause or causes.

I hope this information is helpful.

Dr Anthony Solomon
MB BS DTM&H DIP.VEN FRSM
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine
 SandyH. - Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:29 am

Thank You for the information. I plan on making an appt sooner than the one I already have.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here