Question: Pain, Upper right side

Lucy - Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:54 am

First let me say that I am 28wks pregnant. So far it has been uneventful, w/only a sinus infection, and the flu a few weeks ago. Everything else is fine, and the baby is fine. This is my second child, the first was born in '95 via c-section for "failure to progress."

I am currently taking Zantac for heartburn/acid and that has taken care of all my problems in that area.

My only concern is the pain I have had in my upper right side directly located by the last couple ribs on that side. Sometimes it feels like a "pulling" sensation of pain. I wouldn't really call it "stabbing" but its definetly nagging. Its been gradually getting worse for about a month maybe two. Is it possible it could be muscular if just located in this one specific spot? I am worried its something horrible.

I normally wake up pain free. Usually after being out of bed for 30 minutes to an hour the pain starts to set in. It starts gradually and gets worse, usually sitting in front of the computer makes it worse, perhaps this is due to bad posture? Leaning back helps to relieve the pain enough to continue sitting here. Sometimes I can feel the pain around my backside in the same spot, but its worse in the front. I have been using a heating pad while sitting on the couch with my feet up and a pillow behind my back and this seems to help better than other things I have tried, such as lying down in different positions.

The other day I did some housework and spent a lot of time on my feet, the pain wasn't too bad during all this, but the next day when the pain set in again it was worse. I went to my OBGYN and she pressed around the area and it was tender only in one spot, right by my rib bones. I sat around on the couch for the rest of the day with the heating pad and eventually I felt much better and got a good nights sleep.

My OBGYN had me go in for a gallbladder ultrasound today, but I won't find out the results until Monday. This has me very worried, as they look at pancreas, liver, kidneys, and gallbladder during this scan.

I have no other symptoms. I had the flu a few weeks ago, a few days after my daughter came down with it, I did as well.. I had a fever, slight cough, congestion, sore throat, hoarseness, fatigue, just general unwell feeling. I feel completely recovered now. My energy levels seem fine, I don't feel weak or sick, I lost 2 pounds when I was ill, but I have gained them all back now and I have a very hearty appetite. I hardly get nautious now in the 3rd tri, but every once in a while I do get sick, maybe once every other week or so. Slight headaches every now and then, nothing some tylenol hasn't fixed.

I am very stressed and worried that something drastic might be wrong with me because of this pain. I see my OBGYN on a regular basis and go threw all the normal tests on a regular basis, urine, blood work, all that, and everything is normal there as well.

If anyone can shed some light on this it would be much appreciated. I know I shouldn't stress so much but anxiety has always plagued me. I am really scared of cancer and surgery and such. I am 29 yrs old.

I should also mention that in the last few days similar pain is also very lightly on the left side, in the exact same spot, leaving me to believe its muscular from the weight of the baby...again any insight is helpful, as I am very worried what they can/will find on the RUQ ultrasound this morning.
 Lucy - Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:08 am

Anyone? =/
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:44 pm

The right upper quadrant of the abdomen is the anatomical location of the liver and gallbladder, therefore your doctor was right to request an abdominal ultrasound. However, acute gallbladder disease usually presents as a severe pain in the right upper abdomen which radiates round the margin of the right rib cage to the scapular region and may last several hours. This is associated with sweating, nausea and vomiting. Many attacks of pain in acute disease occur at night, but you are pain-free during this period. In chronic gallbladder disease, the pain is situated in the centre and right side of the upper abdomen and is accompanied by distention, flatulence and intolerance to fatty food. Your symptoms are not suggestive of acute or chronic gallbladder disease.

The location of pain on the rib, the positive sign of tenderness over the affected rib when your doctor pressed it, the relief you obtain with a heating pad, and a subsequent pain of similar nature on the left rib cage are all suggestive of a condition known as Tietze’s syndrome, which is sImply an inflammation of the rib cage, over the junction of bone and cartilage. The cause is unknown and the condition usually resolves without treatment.

Dr Anthony Solomon
MB BS DTM&H DIP.VEN FRSM
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine
 weez2030 - Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:24 pm

Have your doctor check your blood work(plateletes)-When I had both my children I had same sort of pain-but more toward the end of both -the first they didn't know what was wrong I ended up having emergency c-section with both-they called it, I believe it is called H.E.L.L.P syndrome-check into that - I'm having pains again now so looking into what is wrong with me now-they did an ultrasound on me today-wish me luck-and GOOD LUCK to you-

Stacey
 appyanna - Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:11 am

I too had paiin in my upper right quadrant with both of my pregnancies. Both pregnancies ended in emerency c-sections also. I had developed severe pre-eclampsia that could not be brought under control. At the end of my first pregnancy the pain went from nagging to unbearable. It was so severe that the post op pain of the c-section wasn't even comparable. My liver was so swollen that my uper right quadrant stuck out over an each more than the left. My baby was premature (33 weeks) and very underweight (3.1lbs) He is ok now but it was close.

I was then diagnosed with a blood clotting disorder and used heparin throughout my next pregnancy. Although it still ended in a premature birth and emergency c-section the outcome was still better. My 2nd boy made it to 37 weeks and 4.10lbs and is doing great. The liver hurt with the second pregnacy but not nearly as much and did not swell.

Have you been tested for the various blood clotting disorders? Make sure they test for all of them. Most doctors neglect to test for some of the rarer ones such as the factor II, prothrombin 20210A mutation. I highly recommend it escpecially if you have had preeclampsia or multiple miscarraiges before. If you do have a bloodclotting disorder, treatment during the pregnacy could me critical to saving your and your baby's life.
 pallas - Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:23 am

About four months ago had my gallbladder removed after about a year of discomfort and sometimes alot of pain.
I had no gall stones or obstructions and a three percent fraction.
I am not overweight in habbit of eating many fried foods.
However my stomach still bothers me just about everyday and recently including tonight have had pretty intense pain under my right breast and acrossed my rib cage. It is made worse by moving and exhaling. It reminds me of the pain i had about a year ago in my rib cage but worse. I started noticing this about maybe two weeks ago but tonight while out walking it hurt pretty bad.
I guess it lasted about 30 to 40 minutes. To give you a little more insight i have a huge bruise under my right breast from where i was grabbing it. Does anyone know if this has something to do with maybe.. bile that my body maybe still producing too much of..or.. i dunno maybe they need to take my gallbladder out again, just kidding. The doctor told me to give it 6 months from the day of my surgery, but im thinking its not normal. So does anyone know what it could be or related to? Thank you.
 twinkletoes - Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:43 pm

:? I have had my rib pain for almosts 4 months and I have been using a heating pad and the Dr. gave me muscle relaxers. My pain is here everyday and I was wondering if anyone else has some other ideas to get faster results. I have had all the tests done and nothing is showing up. I also went to the chiropractor for awhile and I was hoping that would help. I also have been using icy/hot.

|