Question: worried about leg pain!

jojo28 - Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:56 am

I have been having pain in the back of my right leg since yesterday. I noticed when I had been on the tractor for about an hour that my foot felt funny, kind of numb. It was almost like my leg had fallen asleep but it was not really tingling and I had a dull ache in the middle of the back of my thigh. I did do quite a bit of yard work this weekend, mowing, planting shrubs, weeding flower beds etc.. Could that have anything to do with this? It seems to bother me more when I am sitting down though I still notice it when standing and walking. I don't have any bruising or pain when I push in one certain spot. Is this something I should be concerned about?
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:33 pm

Dear Jojo28,

how does it feel now?so it's your right calf and the back of your right thigh?! has your right calf got swollen...bigger in size than your other calf? is it tender?

i think you just worked too hard that day! have a hot bath and rest for a while ...see if it'll get better. it always happens when you don't do physical work for a very long time then all of a sudden you do alot of work.

do you have diabetes or hypertension?

take it easy,best regards:-),
 jojo28 - Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:29 am

Thank you for your reply. No I have no swelling at all but here it is 2 days later and the ache has not gotten any better. It is not tender when you push on it. It does not feel bad when I get up in the morning but after a while it starts bothering me. I do not have diabetes or hypertension and as far as I know there is not any family history of blood clots. I visited my doctor yesterday and he looked at my leg poked on it and said it was probably a strained muscle. My question is if it is a blood clot how can you tell just by looking? When you have a blood clot does rest make it feel better?
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:53 am

Dear Jojo,

well, a blood clot in the leg, occurs mainly in the calf muscle... known as DVT (deep venous thrombosis) . It causes swelling of the muscle compared to the other leg ,tenderness,redness. but that is not the case for you as was confirmed by your doctor,Thank God.

It might be a strained muscle as he said...it'll take time to go away...from 1-3 weeks even... according to how much you rest it. It's very bothering i know... how about that tingling sensation in your back of your right thigh, I think it's referred because your leg hurts so you use muscles you don't normally use to compensate for your other injured area.

so , i don't think you should be concerned about it. you can use an anti inflammatory cream/gel/ or even tabletsl ....it'll ease the pain and at the same time will relieve any accompanied inflammation, ok?

Best regards
 Dresta - Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:37 am

I am a new forum member and had a question if anyone could answer. I played softball about a month and a half ago and pulled something in my left quadricep (right on top). It seemed swollen for a while and then it seemed OK. But I am pretty active in sports and such and I just keep straining it! I don't know what to do. Never had an ailment like this that takes so long to heal. My range of motion is inhibited. Lunges are quite painful. Any advice would be great.

THanx,
Dresta :)
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:49 am

Hello!

Welcome on board, well, your stained muscle won't heal if you didn't rest it well, some muscles especially big ones(quadriceps ) heal slowly...it takes 2-3 weeks sometimes only if yourest it and didn't play.

You can acceerate the healing process by doing alternative cold and hot foments on it 5 minutes each ...then visit a physiotherapist to give you the proper moves to make it better/stronger.
best regards
 appyanna - Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:17 am

It is possible you have sciatica. Have you had an x-ray, CT or MRI scan of your lower back? If you have arthritis, inflamation or other damage/disease in your lower back it may put pressure on the spinal cord and cause pain in the sciatic nerve. This pain, which can be severe, may be felt from your buttocks down to your foot.
 appyanna - Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:27 am

I would like to note that my previous post was directed toward jojo28 with the leg pain after yard work. The fact that there seemed to be no tenderness to touch would indicate that the problem is unlikely to be caused by muscle inflamation or blood clot. Scatica could cause a great deal of pain without causing swelling or tenderness. [/i]
 amlsurvivor93 - Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:52 pm

Hi I have had leg pain for the last few years. It started probably when I was 14 or so and doctors have just said that it was "growing pains. well now Im 22 and Im pretty sure Im not growing anymore lol. The pain is horrific it used to be in both legs but now it is just in my right leg in my calf area, It is difficult to walk. I am diabetic but I have had tests done for blood clots , and circulatory stuff and neuropothy done and all those tests came back negative. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas of what could be causing this pain. Thanks

|