Question: autimmune problems

skynm - Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:21 pm

I'm new. I hope this is where I ask a doctor a question. I started having problems a couple of months ago with my calf, first on one leg, aching, then swelling, then the ankle, foot, then the other leg - went back and forth. Feet swelled tremendously for a week, with no pain at all, then stopped just as suddenly as it started. Also, sometimes extreme fatigue and most evenings chills and a temp of around 100. Went to the family doctor. Tests run were the Doppler thing for blood clots, and blood tests, which were all normal except my Sed rate, which is 38. The doctor recommended me to a rheumotologist and gave me an anti-inflammatory medication, Tramadol. He said he couldn't do anything else. My appointment with the rheumotologist is in 6 weeks. I looked all over and couldn't find any who could see me quicker. I asked my doctor if I need other tests run to rule out things - since I have six weeks of waiting. He said, "let's see what the Rheumotologist says first." My symptoms change every day. They started in my legs, except for the fatigue and temp, but last night I suddenly got pains in my right side and back ribs, making it very painful for me to breathe. I took a Tramadol this morning (don't usually take them because they make me sick the next day) and it really didn't do any good. I think I have Lupus symptoms, but are there other things that I could have symptoms for? By the way, I'm a 54 year old female, no smoking, no drinking, a little overweight but I take pretty good care of myself, a pretty good diet and exercise 3 times a week until I started all this and now I don't feel like it most of the time. Should I be having other tests run during this six weeks? I have a business and support myself and two college daughters and I'm not even feeling like getting out of bed most days. I want to know what I should be doing during all this waiting time. Thanks
 skynm - Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:02 am

You know, I'm noticing that a lot of questions here never seem to get answered. That's very discouraging. I'm wondering why some questions get answered and others don't.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun May 01, 2005 2:05 am

User avatar Hi there!
There isn't much you can do until you see a rheumatologist. The problem is not what you should be doing during the long wait. The problem is there shouldn't be such a long wait. It would be impossible to even suspect lupus syndrome based on your description. In fact its usually difficult to diagnose lupus without the help of lab tests. Tramadol is probably not the best analgesic for your condition. Your chest symptoms are suggestive of pleurisy an inflammation of the pleura. Let me assure you that its a possibility that your symptoms will not turn up to be anything serious at all. One thing you could do during your wait is to seek another opinion. It would be a good idea to see a good internist.

|