Question: Need advice on fatigue

lisagale - Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:19 pm

I am sleepy all the time and I was wondering what causes it. I have a hard time sleeping at night anyway and I get 8 hours or more of sleep but I am so sleepy in the daytime. I am especially sleepy after I eat a meal with alot of carbs. I am not diabetic. I take iron pills and multivitamins and those don't help. I have hypothyroidism and take synthroid but even when that is under control it doesn't help. I know it is not any of my meds because I have felt this way long before I started taking any of those. I've been this way for a few years now at least. I have all the symptoms of Poly-Cystic Ovarian Syndrome although I haven't been diagnosed with it. I am taking birth control pills to help with irregular periods. I think I have mentioned everything I can think of. Can you help me? What is causing my fatigue? I also have poor memory and trouble concentrating. It is very frustrating and makes me feel stupid. Please help!!!!!
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun May 01, 2005 2:42 am

User avatar Hi there!
Two causes in your case can cause fatigue. First the hypothyroidism. Any time you are not properly controlled you will feel exactly as you describe. The other cause is depression. In this case it is not that you are taking too much of your medication or that it is causing the side effects. It may be that you need to take a higher dose of Zoloft to control the depression.
Both would explain your long standing fatigue: The depression would precede the initiation of your medication and the hypothyroidism can augment the symptoms.
Please contact your doctor and discuss these issues with him as he alone can change your doses.

|