News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: baker's cyst

Aida - Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:43 pm

Hi

I have a doughter 6 years old and she has complained that her leg was hrting her for a while it was not all the time but often i tought it was because she is very active but not long ago she had a sweling behind her left knee and she hardly could walk it was better after calpol and some time of resinting I took her to the doctors but they told me that she has baker/s cyst and they do not do anything about it if it hrts her just to give her some calpol. I know that in Mmy country where i was born they do an operation so i am very woried and do not know much about it.

I wish to know more about it and is there anything i can do to make sure she has no pains. Is she going to have it for her life or does it go away after some time and is it dengerous and what more should I know about it and what should i do?

if you coul help me please
Thank you
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:18 am

User avatar Baker's cysts in children usually just go away after a time; treatment is not commonly done other than medication. Surgery is a drastic measure done seldom in adults usually not at all in children. They are not dangerous, but can be painful.

The fluid can be drained with a needle and cortisone shots given to reduce the inflammation.

If it persists and medication isn't working, tell your doctor this or get a second opinion.
 Aida - Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:37 am

Thank you very much for your explanation it made me less woried since the day when she had pain for frst time she did not have any more but it is still bit swalen but she does not complain so i will see how it will go later and i have to go and see a doctor in two months i hope it will go away since it is only a child.
Thank you

Aida :P
 chargeit2him - Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:16 pm

Hi, I am not a doctor but I also had a bakers cyst. I was in my 20's though when I was diagnosed . The dr. recomended physical therapy to help strengthen my knee mucsles. I found that even though it hurt when I did the exercises it helped my knee feel better. Even though I have gained much weight I found out it only hurts if I stand on my feet (like at a cash register) all day. If I move around it hasn't been bothering me. I hope your daughter feels better.
Sandy
 Aida - Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:43 pm

Hi

I just read your messsage and wish to know what did you do to get better or do you still have it. My doughter had no pain since that day but i am still woried and wish to find out as much as i can . I am taking her to other country and will go to see some doctors over there to see what they think I think it will be fine but do not want ot take any risks for her future .

Thank you :roll:
 Aida - Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:02 am

I wrote early about my doughter having bakers cyst and that she had pain for one day and never since well she did have it again yesterdey but on her other leg and not inside the knee but on side of the knee I gave her calpol and she was fine after short time i did not take her to the doctors just wont to see if it will come back soon i do not know is it a bakers cyst again but it was swalen she did play skipping that day so i beliave she over done it, what do you think?

Thank you

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here