News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: ankles swelling and burning

chargeit2him - Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:50 pm

my ankles have been swelling up and they have a burning feeling in them. Many years ago I had sprained both of them. Every so often they bother me. I am considered morbidly obese so I am assuming that is what could be bothering me. I am currently having pre op tests for gastric bypass . Are there any other reasons they could be bothering me.
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:41 am

User avatar That is your problem more than likely, but you should get checked for heart disease; it doesn't necessarily mean chest pain. Shortness of breath and fatigue when walking a distace can be a possible sign of congestive heart failure which is different from coronary disease. Are you diabetic by any chance? The tingling could also be possibly neuropathy. You will have both of these tests (bloodwork, chest X-ray) done preoperatively to rule these out.
 chargeit2him - Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:07 pm

Thanks, my mom passed from congestive heart failure. Since I am in the process of testing for my gastric bypass I have been getting things done. Went to the nutritionist the other night and she mentioned that my blood sugar count is a little high. She said something about "pre diabetic" I think the number was 121. I'll get it checked.
Thanks

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here