Question: possible lupus

alikat1205 - Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:11 am

I am a 37 year old female with Qs re: lupus. My mother has lupus and my 32 year old sister was diagnosed a year ago.

I was tested 4 years ago following a miscarriage and the ANA was negative. Is this a one time test? Meaning if you test negative once, you never need to test again?

I have had pleurisy twice, once at age 25, and once just again a month ago. I occassionally suffer from pain and swelling in my feet and hands, making it painful to walk. I have severe menorrhagia, which 5 different OB/GYNs can't seem to find the cause for. I have never had the butterfly rash. I do have night sweats which keep me from sleeping.

I am really tired of seeing doctors and being tested for all these different and varying problems, and I'm inclined to just deal. However, if there is something that could be done, I really want help!

I recently saw my internist and she suggested a lupus test, but I reminded her of my prior negative result. Should I ask her to go ahead? Or if you test negative once, you are always negative.
 medicalman - Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:44 pm

ANA is NOT a one time test i.e. you can test negative and then later change to a positive status. This depends on the quantity of antibodies in the body. So I would suggest you get re-tested. If you have a primary care I would listen to them and do what they say. These are people who know your medical problems/history in detail and would give you much better advise than I or anyone else can ever can over the internet!
 sheila123456 - Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:47 pm

I AM A 27 YEAR OLD WOMAN WHO HAS BEEN HAVING GROSS HEMATURIA AND RIGHT FLANK PAIN AND BAD FATIGUE AND LOTS OF HEADACHS I AM ALWAYS HAVING TO GO TO THE BATHROOM IF I DRINK FLUIDS IT TAKES 5 TO 10 MIN TO GO THROUGH ME I HAVE HAD A CT WHICH WAS FINE PLUS A RIGHT RETROGRADE PYELOGRAM WHICH SHOWED SOME FILLING DEFECTS WHICH ARE STILL UNKNOW AT THIS TIME I ALSO AM SO VERY SLEEPY ALL THE TIME I don't FELL LIKE DOING ANYTHING BUT SLEEPING I AM POSITIVE ANA PLUSE ANTICENTROMER ANTIBODY PLUS MY ESR IS A LITTLE HIGH I HAVE ALREADY HAD THESE TESTS DONE TWICE AND THEY COME BACK THE SAME I HAVE HAD ONE DOCKTOR TELL ME I HAVE LUPUS AND ANOTHER DOCKTOR TELL ME NO MY URO DOCKTOR TELLS ME THAT MY BLOOD IN MY PEE IS COMING FROM MY KINDNEYS BUT THAT IT IS NOT BAD AND HE THINKS I don't HAVE LUPUS WHAT TO YOU THINK ABOUT THESE PROBLEMS THAT IM HAVING? DO YOU THINK IT COULD BE LUPUS?PLUS I AM ALSO HAVING BAD MEMORY IM DOING THINGS AND FORGETING THINGS THAT I SHOULDENT. THANKYOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR TIME. SHEILA

|