Question: leg numbness/muscle problems

superwheeler - Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:11 am

I have two leg related problems. First I sit in a wheelchair, lately I have been having severe episodes of numbness/tingling in my left thigh top of leg. The other situation is that on my shins, it feels like my muscles are hardened. When I press on teh shin, it leaves large "dents" which take some time to return to "flat". On the right shin, there is a red oval over the area in question. Any ideas??
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:25 pm

User avatar Dear superwheeler,

It would be helpful if you can informs us the cause of being on wheelchair, as it may help you in the explanation of these symptoms.

However, for the lower limb symptoms,
It sounds like Sciatica,
Sciatica occurs due to a nerve root (sciatic nerve) compression in the lower (lumbar) spine. The condition is due to a herniated disk in most of the cases in the low lumber spine.

This compression results in pain along distribution of the muscles innervated by that nerve, so the pain radiates from your lower back to the buttock down to the back of the legs.

This commonly happens in people who sit for prolonged periods. The pain can be in the form of mild ache to a sharp, burning pain, discomfort or electric shock. Prolonged walking may aggravate symptoms in some people.

Muscle spasm alone can cause this pain which can be an unidentified cause but in many cases it is secondary to spinal or bone problems.

For the chin problem it seems that your muscles are very weak or there is cramp on pressing it needs direct examination .

|