News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: Ankle catching

mgosnell - Mon Nov 24, 2003 7:38 pm

I have had a problem with my ankle for about 5 years now and can't seem to get an answer for this. If I move my foot a certain way my ankle actually "locks" up and I can't move it. It has stayed like this for a week or more at a time before it loosens up. This is very aggravating and can be very painful. I went to the emergency room with this once and they treated it like a sprain and sent me to therapy which did absolutely nothing at all. Is there anyone who can tell me what this is and what can be done about it?
 Dr. Russell M - Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:18 am

User avatar Hi!

Has your ankle ever been injured before? Are you a sports person? At the ED, were you examined by an orthopedician, and were radiographs taken?

Even though the ankle is the commonest joint to be injured, I am not familar with "locked" ankles. So, did you have to come out of the physical therapy no different from when you entered the ED? Have you tried strapping the ankle? Does your ankle area feel pain and touch sensation?

- Bill
 mgosnell - Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:48 pm

I don't remember ever having an injury in this ankle, I was however extremely overweight when this first started happening. I have since then lost the weight and am now down to a normal size.
When I went to the emergency room I did not see an orthopedic MD, it was a general practitioner. They did xrays but it just showed swelling and so forth. It feels like maybe my tendon that connects my heel to my calf muscle is cathing on something. There is no pain until this happens. I don't have full range of motion however because like I said, if I move my ankle a certain way like inward, it catches.
 Dr. Russell M - Thu Nov 27, 2003 8:35 pm

User avatar Hi!

Helpless that I am, I would book my appointment with the orthopedic surgeon, if my ankle gave me enough troubles though.

Sorry I could not be of enough help.

- Bill

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here