News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: Lingering Hamstring Pain from Cramp

chickamunk - Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:35 pm

:oops: this is my first post, please bear with me...

Last Tuesday evening upon exiting my car, I felt a cramp in the back of my left thigh halfway between groin and knee(I think the seat was pulled far too close to the steering wheel...I am a new and very nervous driver at night due to partial blindness). The pain was similar to a calf cramp. Twice during the night I awoke with severe cramps in my left calf. During the day Wednesday my left leg and foot would begin to spasm in different places.
When I awoke on Thursday morning my big toe was sore, and I had a numb sensation in my left foot arch. Living behind a rural hospital I decided to have this looked into. I was sent immediatly for a doplar ultrasound of my entire leg, which determined that I did not have a blood clot. The doctor perscriped massage therapy.
I had my first session of massage therapy on Saturday, the therapist advised me that I would suffer some pain, especially in the siatica nerve. I have felt definate pain within my leg, today I have pain in the rear of the thigh (localized to the initial pain site from last week). I have been taking daily epsom salt baths.
I should mention I do have a desk job, and foolishly thought my leg was better and was running with my puppy two evenings ago. I have just started taking calcium supplements, as the doctor suggested this may have been the cause of initial cramping (I am lactose intolerant).

Any thoughts are appreciated as to what I can do to get myself back to normal. I am a fairly active person, and this "taking it easy" thing is so hard to do!
 Dr. Russell M - Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:37 pm

User avatar Hi!

Now that you are already on Calcium and Epsom salt baths, some magnesium supplements or food rich in magnesium like banana and soya bean might help. Vitamin E may also help, as would stretch exercises.

Hope this helps.

Warm regards,

- Bill
 chickamunk - Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:30 am

Thank you for your response. I believe the vitamin supplements are working. The cramping and pain have subsided, and now only a minor weakness is felt. I will try your food suggestions, I have certianly learned my lesson about eating healthy!

Thank you!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here