Question: sick and tired need answers! BFS? FIBRO? OR?

cinderella - Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:20 pm

I am a 34 year old mother of 2, and live in southern US. No family history of nero. diseases, but have extreme family hisory of RA on mothers side. No major health issues until now. About 5 months ago my left eye lid began twitching lasted about 2 weeks, then my right index finger started twitching toward my thumb a holding for a split sec., this also lasted about 2 weeks, then I began getting muscle twitches all over my body, big, small, visable, not visable, they began to keep me from sleeping. I looked up twitched and really got scared!! Went to my DR. he asked about family history, my symptoms, did some blood work(electrolites, blood calcium ect.) told me it's stress if I didn't improve in 2 weeks he'd send me to a nero. The thing was I did't really feel stressed but I tried to believe him. 2 weeks later no better went to nero., told him about twitches, fatigue, muscles tired out eaily an shaky. He did a physical exam(all my reflexs, touching fingers to nose, standing on toe and walking on heals, and my eyes) all normal. He also did more blood work (thyroid, parathyroid, mineral levels ect.) all normal. He told me I had BFS (benign fasiculation syndrom) nothing to worry about call if symtoms change. Waited 2 months to return in this time I began getting muscle cramping, twitches were much less but NOT gone, neck and back stiffness and pain, some numbness in pinky now and then, joint pain, muscle sorness, the backs of my hands very sore, chill bumps only below knees, but strangest is the jolts or shocks, their hard to discribe it's kind of like when you hit a nerve in your tooth, that surge but with out the pain. They happen mostly at night, sometimes all over, sometimes just in my hands, but there is not much sleeping when I have those. The nero. said sounds like fibro. I asked him how much pain fibro caused, because I do have pain everyday but it not unbearable, he said pain is releitve for each person. I also asked if the jerks, twitches and other stuff went with fibro, then he said it was probably BFS with a touch of fibro. Is that posible? He didn't seem convincing. He gave me klonapin to help me rest, I do a little better when I rest. He said if it kept up in a month or so he'd send me to a muscle specialist. Should I get a second nero. oppinion or see a ruem. or muscle specialist. I had noticed being more forgetfull, gastro problems, and kind of spaced out but I've had that way way before the other things, so I'm not sure their connected!?!! Need some solid answers.
PLEASE HELP!!!!!!
 bukswife - Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:40 pm

and u need to have 11 or the 18 tenderpoint to qualitfy....and yes i have pain..it varies day to day but everyday is a challenge..i no longer can work...stairs are horrible for me...i get what we know as "fibro fog" and memory???? what is that ....idont get twitching but i've been to neurologists, pain specialists, different rheumys, shrinks...(becasuse alot of doctors don't beleive in fibro and u must be compliant) the list is endless...go to a good rheumy who know fibro...and then go to other docs from there..that is what i did...rule out with each doc...oh yes i forgot the gastro doctor...IBS is big with p;eople with fibro...

good luck...feel free to contact me...
 cinderella - Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:22 pm

Just checking in with a update, not much has changed in my condition. I have been refered to a neuromusclar specialist. They've done more blood work all normal. He had me see a Endocrinolgist he's checking for hasimotos, even though my actual thyroid level was good he said it felt firmer than normal at my age. Anyhow I'm going in tommorrow for a brain MRI and a muscle EMG. I'm hoping they come out fine, and at least rule out any of the terrible stuff.

|