Question: Swelling of extremeties during cold weather

Tee54 - Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:07 pm

For years I have had a condition where my fingers and toes would swell after being out in very cold weather. When I would come in from being in the cold and started to warm up, my fingers and toes would swell. After an hour or two, they would go back to normal. However, recently, I was out in the cold for about 20 minutes and was not wearing a hat so my ears got cold. After I was inside a couple of minutes, my ears got very hot, red and swollen. They stayed like that for a couple of hours, then returned to normal. As I mentioned, I have had this problem with my fingers and toes but this is a first with my ears. What could be causing this? Is this a documented condition? Other than dressing more warmly, can this be prevented?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:50 am

User avatar TEE54,
You seem to have what is known as Raynaud's disease. Please refer to the following page of our Raynaud's review:

raynaud.htm" class="postlink">Raynaud

Yes Raynaud's can happen in the ear.
 Tee54 - Sat Dec 20, 2003 12:18 am

Dr. Fouad,

With all due respect, the symptoms I have are just the opposite. I know what Raynaud's Disease is as my ex-girlfriend had it. In the cold, her fingers would turn white and get painful. My fingers and toes stay the same color but only swell with no pain. My ears got beet red and very hot, as if there was a rush of bloodflow going into the ear lobes and surrounding area. My symptoms don't seem to match those of Raynaud's Disease. Could there be anything else?

|