News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: back legs hurts while sitting

rooter - Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:09 pm

I a travel a minimum of 1 hour to work and then sit at a desk all day and then travel another 1 hour home. For this reason when I started getting a hurting pain in the back of my legs between the buttocks and knee, I chose to ignore it. The reason was the pain felt just like that, as if I had been sitting in one place for fourteen hours straight. However, the pain has increased and now is the same everyday. I am getting where I cannot sit, it is wearing me out. I have to sit to work and travel. The pain immediately goes away when I stand. Also the pain is more pronouced on the left side, but is starting to hurt the right side as well. This has been progressively getting worse over the period of a year.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:58 pm

User avatar Dear rooter,

It sounds like Sciatica,

Sciatica occurs due to a nerve root (sciatic nerve) compression in the lower (lumbar) spine. The condition is due to a herniated disk in most of the cases in the low lumber spine.

This compression results in pain along distribution of the muscles innervated by that nerve, so the pain radiates from your lower back to the buttock down to the back of the legs.

This commonly happens in people who sit for prolonged periods. The pain can be in the form of mild ache to a sharp, burning pain, discomfort or electric shock. Prolonged walking may aggravate symptoms in some people.

Muscle spasm alone can cause this pain which can be an unidentified cause but in many cases it is secondary to spinal or bone problems.

In these cases, self care and avoiding the precipitating cause will lead to a gradual but clear improvement in the pain. Home treatment includes the use of analgesics, cold or hot therapy.

Non surgical treatment includes also, physical therapy, certain exercises, weight reduction, Stretching, non-steroidal Anti-inflammatory medications, and decreased daily activities. The pain usually improves faster than the numbness and the weakness if present.

Surgery for disc herniation is only considered if symptoms are not controlled after at least one month (6 weeks) of medical and conservative treatment, or in very complicated cases with serious symptoms.
 PITAshanna - Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:11 pm

I've had pretty much the same symptoms for 2 years now. I also sit the majority of the day doing office work, plus 1 hour a day in the car. I've been going through pain management for more than a year. Physical therapy did not work, may have made it worse with all the manual therapy. I've had 4 separate types of steroid injections to the lower spine area, that didn't work. In two weeks going in for another in the SI Joint; they hope the pain is stemming from there (whatever). Originally my doc though ischial bursitis, but none of the treatments worked. In the meantime I'm on Lyrica hoping it's an over active nerve condition.

Some day I swear it's not going to hurt so much to just sit down. The pain just radiates down the outer side of the my thigh, and I walk around rubbing my butt all day. Any advise out there??

PITA (pain in the a$$)

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here