Question: Disc Degeneration Pain Worsening

fauch69 - Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:58 pm

On Novenber 29, I had a discogram to confirn I would benefit from surgery to L5-S1 disc. An MRI showed disc degeneration, a tear and a small herniation. The results of the discogram confirmed I would need an anterior/posterior fusion. Since the Discogram my condition and pain has worsened a measurable amount every day to the point that I can not walk for more than 1 minute, and being bed ridden is not to far away. My surgery has been scheduled for Feb. 27, but I don't know if I can wait that long. More recently I have had some incontence (small amounts of urine 10-15 minutes after I urinate), a constant more intence pain in my lower back and buddock area, and my right foot has had pins and needles constantly for 3 days now. Is it possible that the discogram has done additional damage to the disc? Should I be concerned with the rapid rate my condition is worsening? My doctor tells me he can not reserve a operating room for me any earlier the Feb. 27. Do theese symptions warrant a trip to the emergency room, and the possibilty of an emergency type surgery? Any respose would be greatly appriciated as I am going crazy from this. Thank you
 Dr. Russell M - Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:17 pm

User avatar Hi!

I was wondering if a consent was signed before your discogram, and if so, did it not contain the possible complications of one? As long as your ability to urinate remains, and as long as there are medicines for pain, I do not feel a need for an emergent neurosurgery in your case.

But I admit that I could be wrong, and a neurosurgeon would be in the best position to answer your query.

Warm regards,

Bill
 fauch69 - Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:42 am

No I did not sign a consent, but the doctor who preformed the discogram told me there is a small possibility it could do a small amount of damage. I was seen in the emergency room on 1/8 and they did an MRI and it showed a significantly larger herniation that is now pressing on a nerve.
Thank you for your time
 Dr. Russell M - Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:22 pm

User avatar Hi!

Here's wishing a quick recovery from your surgery!

-bill
 sleep - Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:40 pm

Hi fauch69

I have had previous spinal surgery, and am now waiting for a spinal fusion.
Im regards to your problem, before my other spinal surgery i had pins n needles in my leg n loss of feeling and i had loss of bladder control i went to the emergency department and there they get a neurosurgeon to look at me, he said i had to have emergency surgery cause if you leave it any longer i could have had permanent weekness ect.

So i suggest if you still have problems with loss of feeling in your leg n pins n needles and some loss in your bladder control, its a serious probem thats needs to be looked at straight away other wise you might cause permanent problems, so why not take a trip to the hospital when itsbad n they should fix it.

I only know this from expeience

Good luck

|