News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: Migrating Back Pain

oman - Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:12 pm

I am 50 years old and very athletic. I have been experiencing lower back pain for about a month. I can not remember a "pull" or an event to which to attribute a possible injury. My pain worsens when trying to sleep and hurts most when first getting out of bed or standing up and trying to straighten the back. I can not sleep the whole night and I must change my sleeping posture several times a night from one side to the other to be comfortable. After a few seconds of standing, after "things seem to be more in alignment", the pain subsides into a dull pain in the lower back. After standing up and starting to walk I have pain in trying to straighten the back but after a few steps the pain lessens and I can walk upright. Exercise makes the pain lessen and actually sometimes causes it to go away completely. The pain returns soon after rest whither sitting or sleeping. Sometimes the pain seems to be on the right lower back and sometimes the left.
I may be mistaken but sometimes it seems there may be a little different sensation when I urinate. Not necessary painfull but maybe a little burn. Sometimes I may feel a little discomfort in my testicals. I recently had a vascectomy so perhaps these are symptoms of it. My urine is not bright colored. Having a bowel movement seems to lessen the pain temporarily.
 nurodude - Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:58 pm

Oman,

I would strongly recommend you see your doctor for evaluation and possible referral to an orthopedic surgeon or neurosurgeon for evaluation. Although you describe paraspinal muscle spasms, the possible association of altered bowel and bladder movements is very serious. You did not mention if you get any radiation of your pain down your legs. I would also suggest you cease exercising until you find out the problem or possibly injure yourself seriously.

Dr. C

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here