News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: Severe chest pain sternum

Jazzijunk - Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:31 pm

I am a 54 year old female diagnosed with GERD, sliding hiatal hernia, laryngospasms, allergies/asthma (mild), and IBS. In 1999, I had my gallbladder removed and wound up in the hospital 8 days. The surgeon said "It was a mess in there. The gallbladder was attached to your omentum. Are you going to have any further testing done?" Foolish me,
I did not go in for my final visit with him so I never asked him why he thought "further testing" should be done. I did tell my primary physician this but nothing ever came of it though I repeatedly ask him to check into it. I have since had an MR of the abdomen and nothing was noted other than three small kidney stones.

My question concerns "incidents" that began about six months ago. The first time I was walking out of a store laughing. I leaned forward only slightly and was suddenly "grabbed" by the most SEVERE pain in the middle of my chest right above my sternum. The pain was so severe that I could not move. If I moved my hips (attempted to walk) the pain intensified. If I moved my neck or arms, the pain intensified also. I felt as though the pain "stabbed or grabbed" me. Breathing was possible but painful. The SEVERE pain lasted for well over a minute. It finally lessened to a point to where I could very slowly take baby steps to reach our vehicle. The pain lasted about five minutes.

I have had this pain at least four other times. It seems to hit me when I lean back. Once I was attempting to raise my hands and "stretch." Two days ago, I leaned my head back under the shower to wet my hair. It is very painful and this time, the pain only radiated down my arms, possible because I did not attempt to move as I was fearful of making the pain worse.

Any ideas what could be the cause of such SEVERE pain?
 Jazzijunk - Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:35 pm

I am posting this from a work computer and did not mean to post it three times. This is my FIRST post ever and I am requesting that I NOT be banned from this site!
 Jazzijunk - Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:27 pm

After the last episode (in the shower), I had just finished walking over a mile. I came straight inside and went to take a shower. I had just finished walking through a Home Depot after the first (and worst) episode. I have had problems in the past with irregular heartbeats... inverted t-waves... I had a heart catheter and it was within normal limits. I was on potassium 10 meQ yet I do not have high blood pressure, do not smoke, etc.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here