News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: Can bruises break through?

kerrbear - Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:57 pm

I do have Lupus SLE. But have a strange 'cut' on my upper thigh. I know I have bruised that exact area severely approx. 4 times! 2 times in the last 2 months (I'm clumsy) and now in the center of the faded bruise which is still tender erupted this blister like fluidy fillled thing which is about an inch long and 1/4 in wide. now its just an open wound that i keep treating as such. but why is it there? could it be from the repeated bruising? because i am quite certain its not a burn as it seems. and it wasn't like a blood blister either.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:45 pm

User avatar Dear kerrbear,

Cutaneous lesions are very common in patients with lupus erythematosus. 60% - 80% of of SLE patients develop these
lesions during the course the disease.

They are broadly divided into LE-specific skin disease and LE-nonspecific skin disease.

LE-Nonspecific Skin Diseases include:
- Blistering Skin Disease in which small blisters or vesicles or larger blisters may occur and indicate an active SLE named by some as bullous SLE.

Some of these bullae tend to occur at sites of trauma.

Dermatological consultation is important for differential diagnosis and recommendations for further investigations like histological examination.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here