Question: Morning hip joint pain...

tomtom - Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:28 pm

:? After successfully losing 25 lbs last year using RELORA (magnolia extract) I began having morning hip joint pain (both hips) that goes away after 5 minutes of moving around (starting morning routine). When I wake I roll over (usually sleep on my side) and straighten my legs to stretch. When I straighten my legs they will tremble as I do so. There is no pain involved with stretching. I would describe the hip joint pain as a 3 on a 1-10 scale. Oddly I've noticed that when I sleep on anything softer than my own bed (quite firm) I do not seem to have either of these two symptoms. It does not seem to be worsening and in fact it seems less painful than it was in the beginning. I used to awake around 3:00am from the discomfort. I was on Nabumetone (500mg) before going to bed, but no longer need it to get a good nights sleep. Haven't used it for months. Lately my legs don't tremble as much when I wake and stretch, and occasionally not at all. I'm not limping, it's just uncomfortable for 5 minutes or so. I get up and walk normally. No other pain, stiffness or other symptoms. Can gout give this indication? A friend suggested gout but I thought that only caused swelling and pain in the ankles.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:26 pm

Pathologic diseases affecting hip joint and cause pain may range from a muscle or tendon strain to more serious conditions like femoral neck stress fracture.

The associated symptoms and signs in addition to investigations can help in the diagnosis.

Chronic muscle strain and injury results in pain that increase with activity, wrong posture and relived by rest.

Pain that is worse in the morning and improves during the day may be caused by osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, or systemic lupus.

Osteoarthritis is common in people above 50 years old.
An inflammatory cause should be considered in all cases of arthritis in young adults.
Inflammatory arthritis, include ankylosing spondylitis, crystalline arthropathies either or pseudogout and rheumatoid in addition to viral and septic arthritis.

Inflammatory arthritis symptoms include: pain in the morning; systemic involvement and mobility affection.

Investigations include:
- Blood tests: ESR, CRP, CBC, uric acid etc
- Images: X-Ray, MRI

|