Question: 33 yr old female sudden weakness & pain in hips and back

dandiedeb - Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:52 am

Pain started 1 week ago severe pain in lower back with cramps on sides R Hip started aching then got painful when I tried sitting or going down steps feels like I am pulling a thigh muscle pain is an ache while not doing anything when I get up it is painful but not as bad as when I try to walk or bend or go down 2 porch steps, now pain is in both Hips I am going to make an appointment but I have no idea what kind of Doctor to go to I am only 33 in good health but I am overweight I have a very active job that I must do lot's of walking so I am not a sit down and relax kind of person, I do have very strong legs and calves and do have quite a bit of muscle. The pain I am having is probably worse than the knee surgery I had 20 years ago it kinda reminds me of the way your hips feel after you have tried to do the splitz it feels as if I am being spread eagled and then legs are spread apart farther than they should go any ideas on what could bew causing the pain< I have had no injuries and have been on vacation for 2 1/2 weeks If you click on my profile it will tell you the meds I take I feel like an old beat up 200 yr old I think I need to have a walker on some days, Please help Thanks For your time.
I need to add that 2 years I started getting numbness in R leg like it fell asleep in mid motion tingling but didn't really have pain that has continuied and gotten worse I sometimes have to rub that leg very hard to "Wake it up" how can a leg in motion fall asleep??
Dandiedeb
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:29 am

User avatar dandiedeb,
You need to be examined to determine the nature of the pain. Your pain could be muscular or could be nerve related. Pain that is nerve related could be related to the distribution of a particular nerve, could be radicular (related to the nerve root from the spine) or it could be referred. After determining the nature of the pain, investigations as to the possible cause would be feasible. This may include pelvic radiology or radiology to the back.

Regards.
 dandiedeb - Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:40 am

Thanks Dr. Tamer I am on my way to the doctor right now I will post what the Doc has to say about it
 dandiedeb - Sat Feb 28, 2004 5:34 am

Scatia that is the Diaganosis after exrays and physical exam
He told me AI needs to see a neurologist he prescribed me 13 steroid tablets and darvocet for the pain, I have gotten some relief from the Meds as of today at least I can walk and I am not in throbbing pain.
Dr. says I need to go back to my gastro surgeon that did my nissen fundoplication and inform him of the problem he said there could be a problem with a certain nerve starts with a t I can't remember being pinched. so I still have some leg work to do in finding the true cause
I can't help but wonder if this isn't related to a spinal tab attempt I had in July 2003 The nuerologist attempted but never succeded in getting what she needed however I had about 15 holes in my back from her trying, (I was having bad migraines taking meds with no help so she was running the test)
any way when she left the room to go get something my husband and I made a dash for the car and never looked back.
Yeah I know that was bad however I stopped taking tylenol and anything with acetemm.... in it and went to motrin headaches are so far and few now.
Could her attempting so many time have did damage to me?
Thanks again
Dandie
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:30 pm

User avatar dandiedeb,
I am glad you have reached a diagnosis quickly. As for your enquiry: I don't think the lumbar puncture had anything to do with it.
Sciatica commonly refers to pain that radiates along the sciatic nerve and is typically felt in the buttocks, down the back of the leg and possibly to the foot. Sciatica is one of the most common forms of pain caused by compression of the spinal nerves, and the leg pain often feels much worse than the back pain.
Sciatica pain can result when the nerve roots in the lower spine are irritated or compressed. Most often, sciatica pain is caused when the L5 or S1 nerve root in the lower spine is irritated by a herniated disc. When this happens, pain radiates into the buttocks and back of the thigh and calf, and occasionally may extend down to the foot. Numbness, tingling, and/or a burning or prickling sensation are also common symptoms.

Lumbar puncture (spinal tap) is usually done between the L4 and L5 vertebral levels. Where the needle enters the dura there are roots of the cauda equina (nerve roots suspended in fluid below the end of the spinal cord). The chances of putting a needle into one of the roots suspended in the thecal sac are about as good as spearing cooked soft spaghetti floating in water with the lumbar puncture needle (or the prong of a fork)..

Theoretically speaking however, one rare complication of lumbar puncture is disc herniation. Did your CAT scan or MRI show disc herniation between LV4 and 5?

|