News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Nausea, Taste of Blood, Morning Nosebleeds

tdinsfb - Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:50 pm

This is a neurological question...I think.

I have been having a feeling of pressure in my head lately that, when it comes, is accompanied by nausea and a blood-like taste in the back of my mouth. Also, I have been having nosebleeds in the morning once or twice per week.

This has been going on for the past 2-3 weeks...I quit smoking a month ago and I wonder if this could be related.

I did see my physician who somehow determined these were migraine symptoms even though I would not (and did not) characterize the feelings as painful or even as headaches.

What could this be? Aren't migraines supposed to hurt? Why do I taste blood? Are my sinuses draining since I quit smoking? Lots of questions...can you help?

Male - 26 years old

Thanks!
 Dr. Russell M - Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:08 am

User avatar Hi!

Did you check with the ENT doctor/Head & Neck surgeon? Do you have history of recurrent sinusitis? Do you have sputum from your nose? If so, what color? Is it blood-stained? Does this pressure that you feel in your head increase upon bowing your head down? Do you have hypertension? Does anyone in your family have history of abnormal bleeding?

Have you begun taking medications for migraine?

As a house remedy, you might want to begin with steam inhalation thrice daily and nasal decongestant drops applied to the nose in the lying down position with the head hanging out from the edge of the bed. A night-time dose of benadryl might help any congestion.

Hope this helps.

Warm regards,

bill
 tdinsfb - Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:24 pm

Bill, thanks for the reply!

I did not see a Head&Neck Surgeon, no history of sinusitis (that I am aware of), not sure what sputum is...but no abnormal discharges from the nose, bowing my head has no effect on the pressure, I may have hypertension/high anxiety. My maternal uncle had an aneurysm in his 20's and a clot of blood vessels in his brain in his 50's. Those are the only related family history items I can think of...if they're related at all.

I have not taken any recurring migraine meds...just Excedrin Migraine occasionally.

I will give the home remedies a try...So it sounds like something sinus related to you? Also, the pressure mostly increases as the day goes on...sometimes not really appearing until the afternoon.

Thanks for the help Bill.
 Dr. Russell M - Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:16 pm

User avatar Hi!

When you said that you may have hypertension/high anxiety, were you assuming? Or have you been diagnosed with high BP or with anxiety disorders? When was the last time you had your blood pressure checked and how much was it? Have you had any medications for your blood pressure? BP can be checked by yourself freely at any walmart or pharmacy with the apparatus for public use. Hypertension is an important cause for nose bleeds, and if so, at your age, a definite cause for it has to be sought.

bill
 tdinsfb - Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:32 pm

Actually, the last time I saw a physician, my BP was high...They took it twice - first time 160/something, second time 140/something (I want to saw it was over 90 both times but I cannot remember).

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here