Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: supraclavicular lymphadenopathy hx thyroid cancer

blueribbon - Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:12 am

I have had supraclavicular lymphadenopathy for several months. No infections or illness. Originally, had one node. Now it is larger and there are several small ones. Dr. says since they are small, don't worry. I'm a worrier by nature since I have had recurrent metastatic thyroid cancer, pre-cancerous colon polyps, bladder tumor, and now have a palpable breast mass which doesn't show up on mammo or ultrasound? What should I do?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:39 pm

User avatar Dear blueribbon,

I understand your fears; at the same time I assume that your physician as well is aware by your medical history.

So, according to the informations taken from your posts, you probably have left supraclavicular and or lower cervical Lymph node (LN) enlargements. You also have mentioned that the supraclavicular node is easily felt and is increasing in size.

The thyroid scan and investigations checking for thyroid recurrence or metastases were negative.
But this does not exclude further investigation for these enlarged LNS. A conventional US study with or without Doppler can help in confirmation of their nature. US guided FNAC can also be done for the pathological diagnosis.

Regarding the breast swelling, is it felt at same side where the LNS are enlarged?

You mentioned that it could not be detected by US or Mammography, a possibility of fibroadenosis is there however, they also have characteristic picture on both US and Mammography. Comparison with previous mammography if any, is of value in this case.

A negative mammogram does not preclude procceding for FNAC or biopsy for a suspicious mass. Some doctors go for MRI for further investigations.

PET scan (radionuclide) is used to detect metastatic disease and is considerable in your condition, although it is not recommended for initial diagnosis of patients with suspected breast lesion less than 1 CM.

My advice is to follow up with your doctor and to discuss with him the above diagnostic approaches.

|