Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: pituitary Benign Brain tumor / f/ 40+

sparky2k - Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:15 am

Dear Doctor,

I have a close friend of mine, whose mother is being operated for the 3rd time in the last 10 years for a Pituitary Benign Brain Tumour. She is around 40 years old. She was first operated in 1994 in Mumbai (India), and later the tumour reoccured in the brain and was again under surgery in 2002. Once again it seems the tumour has re-appeared and she will be operated on the 19th of December (or appx near then)...

Some of the doctors within the state have said there is no cure (100% removal of this tumour) and that even if done successfully the tumour will grow out again through some of the cells. However, I am not amused by this answer since from what I have read on the internet Radiation Therapy has been successful in most cases. I would however prefer a second opinion and was referred here by a family friend (Doctor in the Cardiology dept from California) and was told to post here and possibly get some suggestions - 1) What are the alternatives for treetments , 2) Suggestions of possible doctors who can provide more personal guidance , 3) What do you suggest - Invasive Surgery or some other therapy. Please let me know as we are worried about her and that since it's the third time in the operation theatre, a lot of us (family and friends) are really worried. Some guidance or suggestions would help give us a few options to discover in case 3rd time surgery becomes a risk of its own.

S.P.
 derek - Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:07 am

Hello
I have read your story and I do very much sympathise with your friends situation.
I can answer only 1) and 2 ) of your questions
I think that cheamotherapy is a wise option if you do not want to have invasive treatment all the time.
I also want to say that if the tumour is malignant then there is a high rate of recurrence
please post back with your reply
much apreciated bye
derek
 CrohnieToo - Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:05 pm

They discovered my mother had a benign meningioma on her pituitary when she was 62 years old. She had surgery for it done locally wherein they went in w/an incision under the nose. They were unable to remove it all.

She had surgery thru the skull for it at U of M and radiation therapy afterwards which they said "petrified" it. It did remain dormant for many years.

All in all she lived 17 good years after the Dx and the 2 surgeries and radiation. Her last year she was losing some of her mental capacity, more of a slow down of processing than actual senilty, and it was a stroke that took her life at almost 80 years of age.

|