Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Hard lump behind/below left ear!

alien_being - Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:57 am

I have had the said lump for about two years and visited my GP when I first noticed it; I was told that it was a fatty lump and to revisit him if it grew or became painful. After a recent BUPA health check, the consultant insisted I get it checked out further.

After visiting an ear/nose/throat specialist at my local hospital, I have been told (in laymans terms) that it is an 'innocent swelling', but that if left, in a small number of cases, can turn into something more sinister so have to have it removed. The consultant explained the after effects of having this lump removed; I will have no feeling in my left ear-lobe; I will have a wonderful 'face-lift' type scar which 'should blend in quite nicely and shouldn't be too noticeable'; I will have an indentation on that side of my neck once this lump is removed; one in four patients end up with their saliva glands not working correctly - i.e. instead of generating saliva, the side of the face will sweat (and sometimes quite badly); I could experience a 'slight' face droop!

Is the surgery worth it? I have enough problems with my looks without them being worsened!!! Has anyone had or knows of anyone who has had this type of operation? I'm in two minds as to whether to go through with it at all.

Many thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this and reply.
 Dr. N. Haider - Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:20 pm

User avatar hi
this swelling could be nothing but some fat (lipoma) to a normally enlarged lymph gland or may be something sinister.

all the complications the durgeon told you were not related to the removal of this swelling,,,but rather any of these may occur after surgery due to manipulations. face is rich in nerves and blood vessels. a slight error during surgery can result in any or all of those. but it could be exactly normal means nothing 'd happen.

it is the doctor's responsibility to inform u of all complications. given that u take the acceptable risk, u may undergo the surgery.

regarding whether it is just something to something serious,,,did u get a 'biopsy'? what was the report?

Najaf Haider MBBS
 alien_being - Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:27 pm

I had a biopsy done on Tuesday and am back at the hospital to pick up the results in two weeks time.

I suppose I am really concerned that if or when the surgery takes place (my consultant has given me the impression that this lump will have to be removed whether it is harmless or not), the risk of them affecting a nerve which could cause facial droop/paralysis; the other symptoms I can live with!
 Dr. N. Haider - Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:46 am

User avatar hi
Please inform me about the biopsy report whenever available.

Surgeons are very careful in face/neck procedures, and thus everything goes ok. But as I already mentioned, the acceptable risk has to be taken.

Whether you'd like to undergo surgery before or after the biopsy, depends on you.

Send a private message if you need further advice.

Najaf Haider MBBS
 alien_being - Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:12 am

I will, and many thanks for your advice so far.
 Dr. N. Haider - Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:01 am

User avatar hi

I have been informed that private messaging has been disabled on this forum.

Najaf Haider MBBS

|