Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: swallon glands

shelley - Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:21 pm

I have swallon glands just on one side of my throat and a lump behinde my ear. I also seem to have a constent back ache ,my doctor told me it might be mono, but took no test"s ,is this possible , if so what am i suppose to do i have kids can they get this.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Apr 25, 2004 11:04 am

User avatar Dear Shelley,

Infectious mononucleosis is characterized by the presence of a combination of symptoms and signs (but any disease process can have an atypical presentation) including fever, inflammation of the pharynx, swollen lymph nodes all over the body, an enlarged spleen, pneumonia, skin rash, muscle pains, hepatitis and nervous sytem affection.

The most common presentation though is that of three things, fever, sore throat and generalized lymph node enlargement.

If you really have infectious mononucleosis, the chance of spreading it to your kids is moderate. The virus is excreted with the saliva and even after cure, the carrier state can last up to 18 months.

Personally, i think a confirmation blood test is warranted in all cases that are suspicious for infectious mononucleosis.

shelley - Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:54 am

i got my blood test back today ,it showed no mono.but now it shows a blood sugar of 55 i have to go in for more blood work .what does this mean ?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:12 am

User avatar Dear Shelley,

Thank you very much for the update.

A blood glucose of 55 is a little bit low. The normal range is 70-100 mg/dl. Only if the blood glucose level is less than 50 that a cause for this hypoglycemia should be checked.

Low blood glucose can be caused by:
- Wrong processing on part of the lab.
- Medications that lower blood sugar.
- Alcohol.
- Tumours that secrete insulin and cause low blood sugar and these are mainly located in the pancreas.
- Adrenal gland insufficiency.
- Pituitary gland insufficiency.
- Liver failure.
- Renal failure.

Low blood glucose causes many symptoms including sweating, sensation of warmth, anxiety, tremors, nausea and palpitations.

If the blood glucose becomes even lower, the brain starts to suffer (as its only source of energy is gluocse) and the person may start to suffer from other symptoms like fatigue, dizziness, headache, visual disturbances, inability to concentrate, abnormal behavior, confusion, and ultimately loss of consciousness or seizures.

So, if you were not suffering from any of these symptoms at the time you had this low blood glucose level, most probably i would just repeat the blood glucose level once more when you are fasting to make sure it is normal and then let it go without having to worry about you having any illnesses whatsoever.

On the other hand, if you were symptomatic, then my suggestion is to go the whole nine yards.

At any rate, it looks like your doctor decided to check more blood work at this time, which should not hurt.

Please, keep me posted.

shelley - Fri Apr 30, 2004 2:46 pm

dear dr. thank you for the very helpful informatin .hopefully my test's will come back normal i do have to add what started this hole thing was my swallon throat and neck and why will it not go away could this be some sort of cancer or cfs i work 3rd shift and take care of my 5 kids during the day on top of all the running around i do ii get 4 hours of sleep a day and i do smoke and do not get much time to myself or to eat very healthy.i just worry that by living this life style ithat something bad is happening
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Apr 30, 2004 5:17 pm

User avatar Dear Shelley,

Thank you very much for the update.

You definitely are living a very hectic life style.

The best way to know what is the nature of this enlarged lymph node is to remove it as a biopsy and see it under the microscope.

One of the commonest unidentified causes of sore throat is chronic sinusitis and dripping of the purulent discharge unto the throat giving you this problem. Sometimes it is necessary to tap all the pus in the sinuses. You might have chronic tonsillitis (inflammation of the tonsils) and require their removal even though you are not that young.

i think that you should abstain from smoking. As this might be contributing to the inflammation of your throat. One more thing, you have to try to get as much sleep as possible as some of the studies suggested that people who have enough sleep have better immune system.

Please, keep me posted as to the results of your blood work.

shelley - Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:08 am

this lump in my neck is still tere what should i do
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:00 pm

User avatar Dear Shelley,

Is the lump getting bigger? Did it start to hurt? Other new lumps appearing anywhere in the body? Are you losing weight without dieting? Are you having any new bleeding or easy bruising?

If no, there is no need to worry and just watch it, but make sure to mention it to your primary care provider so that it is checked each time you are seen and examined.

If the question to any of these questions is yes, then you have to see your doctor and see what can be done about it like taking it out and have it analysed under the microscope.

bolton - Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:04 pm

I started feeling swollen lymph nodes (bean size) on both sides in my neck area 2 months ago, together with upper back pain. My doctor ordered blood test for mono. The result came back with IgG positive and IgM negative, which means I wasn’t (am not) actively infected mono 2 months ago.

Then he ordered a CT-scan test for neck lymph area a month ago. Before the CT-scan test, my lymph-swollen problem got a little better, but the problem suddenly became much worse after the CT scan. Since the CT-test, I have had a couple of more (peanut size) bumps on my left side of neck and felt tension in my neck area and pain in upper back. I also feel swollen bumps behind both ears and feel facial muscle pain when I eat.

What cause these?

|