Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Umbilical hernia

JKF - Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:52 pm

I have been diagnosed today with an umbilical hernia. My ssurgeon is sort of leaving it up to me whether I have the surgery or not. I go back to see him in two months. From everything I am reading on the internet it is probably something I am going to have to have operated on it is not going away on its own. I am a 58 year old woman with three children who had a paraesophageal hiatal hernia repair 2and a half years ago. Gall bladder surgery a year ago. A histerectomy ten years ago and a couple of d and cs. I am not afraid for surgery and think my doctor is giving me some time to think about it. He is a very good doctor. What is y our opinion. JKF
 Dr. M. Mavru - Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:12 am

User avatar Hello again!

You mention cholecystectomy and fundoplication. Were these laparoscopic procedures? Did the hernia appeare at the site of the umbilical trocar? If so it might be a bit different umbilical hernia.

Indeed umbilical hernias are not going away on their own except in young children.
On the other hand they usually do not cause harm either. If it does not hurt, you might just wait and watch.
 JKF - Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:40 am

Dear Doctor,
Yes both of those surgeries were laporascopic. I have about an inch and a half scar through my naval. So you think there might be some connection with that and the umbilical hernia. I believe that was probably where the trocar was placed when I had the gall bladder removal a year ago. I have some pain there but it is not terrible at this point but I don't want it to get terrible. Thanks for your input. I guess my question is is there a coorelation between the surgery and the hernia. Thanks JKF
 Dr. M. Mavru - Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:41 am

User avatar Yes, it probably is a tiny incisional hernia.
In the location you describe they usually contain fatty structures and seldom pose health risks.
 JKF - Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:41 am

thanks for your information. It has been very helpful. I go back to my surgeon in April and he will see how I am doing then. Thanks again, JKF
 JKF - Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:29 am

Dear Doctor,
I have been thinking about your reply and the word that bothers me is - tiny. When I cough I can feel the hernia and it isnt tiny. I cant tell exactly how big it is but it is not tiny. It is definitly bigger than a quarter. How much bigger I cant tell. Thanks JKF
 Dr. M. Mavru - Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:40 pm

User avatar Dear JKF
I should have been more specific.
I assumed the hernia to be about half an inch, which is the most common size of the umbilical incisions. Larger incisions are used when the gallbladder is very inflamed or contains large stones. I gather from your post that was not your case.
Please bear in mind that external size of the bulge has little rapport with the size of the hernial orifice.
 JKF - Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:30 pm

Oh!
 JKF - Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:32 pm

The incision is about an inch and a half. Thanks JKF
 Dr. M. Mavru - Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:07 am

User avatar Good luck!
You will be fine!
 Miss_Holzie - Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:47 am

Hi I was told I have an umbilical hernia about two years ago! Although to me it just looks like an outie belly button, I'm very slim and active! it's never bothered or caused me any pain before but Im worried if I start core ab training is this going to make it worse or cause it to become more of an outie?! Sum say it could make it go away but I'm not so sure as when I do sit ups and crunches it comes right out my abdomin so it's fully protruding! So basically I'm worried about whetheexcite ab training is going to mean I need surgery? And is it going to turn my outie into a larger outie? As this wud not be what I want not even if it does sound vain! Please help thanks

|