Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: small lump on back of left hemisphere of head

mattasouths - Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:33 am

hi i was at training for sport (cricket) and i went to bowl but as i was doing so i tensed up my neck and back of my head and released straight after...

there was a sharp pain at the back of my head as if someone had thrown a small stone at my head with a huge force though everyone was just standing as normal, and now there is a small lump about 2 to 3 finger widths above my hairline.

When it happened it felt like a tear at the back of my head and the area became very hot.

I have had the lump for about 14 months now and i have noticed a servre loss of vision and concentration also lightheadedness almost all the time.

I am not sure what to do i think i may have torn ablood vessel and that it has clotted or something but i really have no idea, the lump varies in size from time to time at this moment it is as wide and round as the top of my finger and sticks out a few milimeters i think as i can only tell by feeling it. Also it is hard and moves around and is not always painfull to touch.

I hope you can give me some infortmation and i am sorry it this is abit too long
 Dr. Tino Anthony Solomon - Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:22 pm

Hello there,

From the information you have given us, it does not sound like you have had an intra-cerebral bleed as the lump is clearly palpable on the skin. It may be of interest to note that the area of the brain that is responsible for vision lies in the back of the brain, known as the occipital lobe. What you don’t mention is whether you have any other medical problems or past history of similar episodes both to yourself or your family. What is slightly worrying is your description of loss of vision and light-headedness which may or may not be related to the incident.

The description of the lump at the back of your head can be attributed to a lipoma. A lipoma is a soft, fatty lump. It is a benign (non-cancerous) growth made up from fat cells that clump together. A lipoma can occur in any part of the body where there are fat cells. They are soft to the touch, sometimes moveable, and are generally painless. As it is unusual, but not unheard of to develop a post-traumatic lipoma, other causes such as a muscle tear need to be ruled out. Another possibility could be that this lump is unrelated to the incident you describe and may have been found incidentally.

My advice to you would be to visit your family practitioner or any doctor you can access, to inspect this lump and examine the area where you felt the original pain. Further scans or biopsies may then be required in order to determine the origin of the lump and/or your symptoms.

Kind regards,

Dr Tino Solomon
BSc(Hons) MBBS
Senior House Officer in Surgery
 hbjaycee - Wed May 30, 2007 10:49 am

I saw an internal medicine doctor and a general surgeon for a lump I have on the back of my head about two years ago. I was told it was a fatty tumor and that I had the option of removing it but the surgeon told me if it were him, he would just leave it. I has gotten a bit larger and I have decided to have it removed. What kind of surgeon should I be setting up an appointment with?

|