Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Varicocele keyhole surgery

markorn - Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:15 am

I am still recovering from a Varicocele keyhole surgery I had done a few days ago. The operation went fine except that, although there are now fewer veins, there are still a few left. The thing that is really worrying me is that there is a hint of aching now. Although there isn't much aching, it's still annoying and worrying because it won't go away :( .. the aching is very minor and im not even sure if it is an aching feeling but I can definately feel something, and it's bothering me. I'm really scared it won't go away. My left thigh to the area of the varicocele feels strange and I'm wondering if it's normal to have this after a varicocele keyhole surgery?.. Sometimes the aching can be much more stronger. Please if someone can help me that would be great, thanx!
Back to top
Send private message
 Dr. M. Mavru - Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:22 pm

User avatar Dear markorn,
There is nor real cause for concern from what you describe.
As you probably now, varicocele means variceal dilatation of the veins draining blood from the testicle.
While the operation deals with these, taking them all down would possibly result in testicular atrophy or at least compromised fertility which is the very disorder the operation usually tries to correct in the first place.
As for the pain, there are two likely causes, first the nerves that provide sensory innervation to the anterior aspect of the thigh which course along the region where surgery was performed and second, if an transperitoneal approach was chosen ,the closure of the peritoneum which usually result in dull pain. It should subside and require only light analgesia.
 markorn - Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:23 pm

Hi there Doctor,

I appreciate your reply and attention but unfortunately i do not quite understand the possible causes of the pain. Sorry if im being fussy but im only 16 and really worried about the pain.. i don't really understand the scientific words you use to describe the two possible things that could be the cause of the pain. Are the two possible causes of the pain you have mentioned a cause of concern? or can both be fixed without another surgery? im really scared i don't want another surgery anymore :( .. or will it go away on its own?? please reply back soon. Thanx again!
 Dr. M. Mavru - Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:01 am

User avatar Hi there!
As I have stated in my first message, “there is no real cause for concern from what you describe”.
You should take the pain-killers the doctor has given you and in a few days to a couple of weeks you should be fine. Even if the pain will persist there are other options than surgery for it.
 markorn - Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:25 am

thank you! that's very relieving to hear :) .. i will post again in a few weeks if the pain persists because im still quite worried but thanks a lot!
 markorn - Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:38 am

ok.. the aching has cooled down a lil for the past few days which is relieving. But this morning at around 5am i had the worst stomach ache ever which lead me to ask my dad to take me to the hospital. Literally i was on the floor in pain. But this is not my problem. My problem is that i went to the hospital and they told me to do a urine sample. I did what they said only to find out that they found 'four drops of blood and four drops of protein' in my urine. This is what got me worried as since the operation, peeing wasnt a major problem at all apart from the fact that i have been having minor pain when peeing the last seconds of pee. Then after the peeing finishes, theres a bit more pain and i think that thats the end of my peeing. whereas i take a break and actually there is always a small amount of pee left after the break of peeing. It is extremely hard to explain but it happens everytime. The pain is minor and so i thought it is normal in the recovery period. But having found out that my urine sample turned out to be unusual. I am thinking that this could be a cause for concern =( .. please help..! thanx!

|