Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Missing bones in Big Toe

iluvthecold85 - Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:01 pm

Hello-

I am missing a couple bones in my two big toes. I'd like to know whether or not there are any surgical procedures for this type of case. I am wondering if anyone has done a toe transplant before? I would like to have two normal big toes. If that means I have to receive them from a recently dead guy...that's perfectly fine to me.

Please give me some guidance. I've called several foot clinics in Colorado and no one has been able to help me.

Thanks,

Alex M., 21 years old, Male, No meds, Heart problems, Keynod's Syndrome (bad circulation in hands and feet apparently)
 Dr. Tino Anthony Solomon - Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:15 pm

Hello there,

During my orthopaedic rotations both at medical school and in my intern year I never came across a case such as yours. Almost every long bone in the upper and lower limbs as well as the shoulder, elbow, knee, hip and to a certain extent the ankle can be partially or fully replaced by a prosthesis. Do these missing bones make it difficult for you to walk or put any weight on your foot? Is it affecting your day to day lifestyle? If not then you would be hard pressed to find an orthopaedic (bone) surgeon who would be feeling to give your toes a second look. There are various methods of fusing the bones in the toes to offer some stability if required. The only prostheses in that area I am aware of are external, i.e. artificial detachable models for aesthetic purposes. As you retain your toes in form this would not really be indicated. I suggest you visit an orthopaedic surgeon specialising in the foot and ankle for recommendations if you are having difficulties.

Kind regards,

Dr Tino Solomon
BSc (Hons) MB BS
Senior House Officer in Surgery

|