News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Arnold-Chiari Malformation complication

cristi_t - Mon May 17, 2004 1:49 pm

Hi,

Someone I knew had Arnold-Chiari malformation. He had surgery, then he died 18 days later. Doctors say it developed (viral) meningitis as a post-operatory complication.
We are trying to find out what happened, maybe someone is kind enough to give his/hers opinion, based on the information I give below.
I also included a link to his MRI scans.

Here is some information:

Diagnostic: Arnold-Chiary Malformation II, with hydrosyringo-myelia.
Sympthomps: Numbness of all left side of the body, hiccups, neck stiffness.

Surgery on April 1st 2004.

Post operatory conditions:

While in hospital, he had neck stiffness, strong headaches, very little remedy of numbness, temperature 38.3C.
April 9th: Externated.
April 11th: Seemed well (walked, ate), then temprorary left side paralysis. The next day, all of left side was paralized, involutary right hand movements, hiccups.
April 13th: Developed coma I.
April 15th: Developed coma IV with cardiac arrest. He was resuscitated.
April 18th: Brain death.

Here is a link to some of the MRI scans given to us by the doctors. The scans are from after the surgery.

http://www.medicalinfo.ro/info-mri/index.html

I am posting this hoping to get a cleared ideea to why this happened, any opinion is highly appreciated.

Best Regards,
Cristian Tota
 Dr. Russell M - Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:27 am

User avatar Hi!

I am sorry to be discussing posthumously regarding this disease. I am not a neurosurgeon, and hence can only discuss on what I have read. I am sure the doctors who did surgery on this patient would have had extensive discussions with you/kin regarding the disease prognosis, morbidity, and mortality in syringomyelia.

Postoperative infection is a surgical complication, which could underlie the worsening of the patient's condition. In a well-established neurosurgical unit, the incidence of infection as a surgical complication should be minimal.

Hope this helps.

bill

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here