News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: thyroid goiter surgery

perfectbunny - Wed May 26, 2004 8:22 pm

:!::?: :!: Been seeing a doctor for a year for Hasimoto, hypothyroid and a goiter. Synthroid perscription goes up every 2 months.
Goiter is slightly smaller.
Symptoms worse. Hard to swallow/breathe sometimes.
Doctor says that since goiter is slightly smaller the medicine is working even though the symptoms are getting worse. She isn't sure if we should do surgery now.
When is a good time to have thyroid surgery and just remove it? I mean if the perscription goes up every time I see her, doesn't that say it isn't working? How much of a shrinkage in the goiter is significant? can it shrink out the outwards appearance and yet grow inside and not be noticeable???
Any advice. Getting tired of going in every two months for the same medicine that I can't tell is working. :?: :?: :?:
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu May 27, 2004 12:17 pm

User avatar perfectbunny,
There are two problems with Hashimoto's thyroiditis: 1. The goitre which is related to the disease process (lymphocytes infiltrating the thyroid gland and destroying it as well as causing it to enlarge in addition to increased levels of TSH which also cause the gland to enlarge). 2. Hypothyroidism (decrease in thyroxine levels in the blood as a result of the gland being destroyed by the lymphocytes).

Your goitre problem is gradually subsiding which although a good sign, is not happening fast enough. Your main problem is your thyroxin levels, which should have normalized by now. As the dose becomes more accurate the levels of another hormone in the blood called TSH will start adjusting and this will be followed by further decrease in the size of the goitre. What are your latest TSH results?

Thyroid surgery is not without risks and complications, I would'nt rush to it if I were you.

Check the following links:

thyroidectomy.htm" class="postlink">Thyroidectomy
Hashimoto's thyroiditis

I think the main problem is adjusting your synthyroid dose. If you were to undergo thyroidectomy you would still be left with the problem of adjusting your synthyroid dose. If after dose adjustment according to serum TSH levels you still have problems from your goitre, then surgery is unavoidable.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here