Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: adhesions

jill - Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:08 am

Thank you for your time. During a recent exploratory surgery, the surgeon checked my stomach to find why it hurt so much. He found many adhesions attaching my stomach to my colon, and cut them all. I felt better for about a week, then began to tighten back up. Within two weeks I had much trouble eating again, and hurt very bad all the time though I cannot pinpoint the pain(again). Basically, I feel like I did before. I hurt from my stomach to my hips again.

Could you please tell me can adhesions come back that fast? Would they show up on CT with contrast? I was sent for that yesterday. Thank you for your help as always. Sorry to bother you again.
 Dr. A. De la Guerra - Mon May 01, 2006 9:16 pm

User avatar Hi Jill,

Yes, they can reappear that fast. Adhesions occur as a reaction to tissue injury, it is a healing process. Adhesions occur after almost every abdominal surgery; this process begins within hours and by day five all the reactions required are completed; afterwards the adhesions continue to mature, with healing completed within 3 to 4 weeks.

Concerning your second question on visualization of abdominal adherences on contrasted CT scans, they could be seen, but is unusual. The most reliable procedure to confirm the presence of adherences is laparoscopy.

The problem is that is not always possible to conclude with certainty that the new adhesions are causing your pain, because the presence of adhesions is not a reliable predictor of pain. You should talk to your doctor about this.

Best luck,

Dr. Alberto de la Guerra.
 jill - Tue May 02, 2006 5:54 pm

Thank you very much for your time and answers. I will speak with my doctor.
 Dr. A. De la Guerra - Wed May 03, 2006 3:54 pm

User avatar You are welcome Jill. Should you need further help, I will be watching this topic.

|