News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Problems occuring after ulnar nerve surgery at the elbow

toban - Fri May 26, 2006 6:36 pm

I had ulnar nerve surgery at the elbow April 25. Previous to surgery I had pins n 'needles sensations in the palm of my hand, little/ring finger which I understand is caused by the nerve being compressed. After surgey there was some relief but I understand it takes time. Anyways around May 11 I was injured, elbow included. At the time of the injury not many symptoms were appearing. Within that day or two I started experiencing pins n 'needles sensations from the elbow all the way down into the palm. I never had pins n ' needles in the elbow previous to the surgery. This started after the injury. Also the pain is getting bad. I know nothing is broken and I have been taking Advil for almost two weeks, not helping. I realize my arm is still recovering from surgery and the injury does not help but the pins n' needles nor the pain is not improving over the past few weeks. Any idea of what is going on with the sensation? I hope nothing was disrupted. The surgeon said he found a lot of scar tissue in my elbow during surgery. Any advice?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat May 27, 2006 3:53 am

User avatar Hi toban,
I would suggest that you notify the surgeon about the recent injury so that a re-evaluation can be completed. The symptoms and sensations you are experiencing should not be related to the surgery itself but certainly may be related to the post operative injury.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN
 toban - Sat May 27, 2006 11:52 am

Thanks! I also agree that the symptoms started after the injury and are not related to the surgery itself. After surgery I had some relief of the pins n' needles and the surgeon has a good reputation so I wasn't worried that something went wrong during the surgery. The soonest I can get in to see the surgeon is June 5.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun May 28, 2006 5:18 am

User avatar Hi toban,
Even though you can't be physically evaluated, call the office and inquire if there are measures to decrease your symptoms, continue the Advil (be sure it's not taken on an empty stomach), ie, elbow pads, keeping your arm in a more straightened position at night, rest, etc. Best wishes!
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here