Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Consent help

Samuria - Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:19 pm

My partner went into a hospital in Crewe UK for a hernia operation to be done under local and sedation. She told them before going into the operating room that she wanted to keep her knickers on. The sister agreed that they wouldn’t be in the way and she would respect her wishes.

She was then given 10 mg of Midzolam in one shot and went to sleep. They then removed her knickers with no consent and against her wishes. They claim it was done so they wouldn’t get stained which is a none medical reason. Unfortunately Midzolam is known to give you sexual dreams. She dreamed she was being Gang Raped when they removed her knickers which if you think about it is what happened she was surrounded by people in the operating theatre and they removed her knickers so you can see why she experienced this.

The problem is she has suffered post traumatic shock and after 7 months still suffering she wakes screaming trying to cover herself from the rape and suffers depression. It has effected me in the same way we just cant get out of our head that she was forcibley stripped in a most disgusting and humiliating way.

She then nearly died as her heart dropped to 30 from 80 as a result of the Midz. She was in horrendous pain and they called for an anaesthetist but there wasn’t one so they carried on for 2 hours. She said the pain was ten time worse than having a baby. She was then given a suppository which again she had told them she didn’t want and this was given without her consent.

The hospital acknowledge that her knickers were removed but refuse to take any action against who ever removed them. They refuse to give their names and who is responsible if the surgeon said remove them and then a nurse actually removed them who is guilty?

What can we do it must have taken more than one person to remove them as she is 22 st so the yare all guilty. I wonder why any medical person would remove them for none medical reasons knowing to do anything without consent means they can be struck off. It then raises the question was it done for sexual reasons like did someone like watching women stripped and having a look at their privates as I cant believe anyone would be so stupid to do it for any other reason.

What can we do about it? How can we force the hospital to take action. What is your opinion of what happened?
 Dr. Tino Anthony Solomon - Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:56 pm

Hello there,

I would suggest that you address your queries to the concerned hospital's complaints department until you have exhausted this avenue. If no progress has been made, then your complaint may be the subject of a medico-legal inquiry, which is beyond this website both professionally and topically. Your accusations have potentially very serious implications and due to my position and those of other medical professionals on this website, this matter cannot be addressed by us.

Dr Tino Solomon
BSc (Hons) Infection, MB BS
Senior House Officer in Surgery

|