Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Inguinal Hernia Surgery would like opinions

elizabethnwaters - Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:04 pm

I am Elizabeth, however this email is about my Fiance Noman who is 37 with an inguinal Hernia, no past problems and this is his first surgical procedure.

No family history known and no meds.

He was diagnosed tenatively with a hernia however we are waitingo n the urologist to confirm our doctors diagnosis.

We have done some research and because this is his first procedure I find it best for him to have the OPEN surgical technique for not only safety purposes but also because it is more effective long term for the longterm effects of the hernia.

Am i right in this or am i completely off base i went to webmd and did research regarding this topic as his doctor instructed but id just like more opinions please. Thank you so much.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:09 am

User avatar Hi elizabethnwaters,
There are two types of surgical procedures for inguinal hernai repairs. Open surgical procedure and laparoscopic procedure. The open procedure has been done for many years and although the laparoscopic procedure is a newer form it has been shown to be effective as well. During this procedure, typically four small (1 inch) incisions are made verses on larger incision/open, (depending on the size of the hernia). There appears with the laparoscopic procedure a decreased chance of infection, decreased pain and recovery time as compared to the open procedure. The type of procedure of course would depend on the size, surgeons preference, preference of the patient, etc. I hope you find this information helpful.
Click here!

|