News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Inguinal Hernia Surgery would like opinions

elizabethnwaters - Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:04 pm

I am Elizabeth, however this email is about my Fiance Noman who is 37 with an inguinal Hernia, no past problems and this is his first surgical procedure.

No family history known and no meds.

He was diagnosed tenatively with a hernia however we are waitingo n the urologist to confirm our doctors diagnosis.

We have done some research and because this is his first procedure I find it best for him to have the OPEN surgical technique for not only safety purposes but also because it is more effective long term for the longterm effects of the hernia.

Am i right in this or am i completely off base i went to webmd and did research regarding this topic as his doctor instructed but id just like more opinions please. Thank you so much.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:09 am

User avatar Hi elizabethnwaters,
There are two types of surgical procedures for inguinal hernai repairs. Open surgical procedure and laparoscopic procedure. The open procedure has been done for many years and although the laparoscopic procedure is a newer form it has been shown to be effective as well. During this procedure, typically four small (1 inch) incisions are made verses on larger incision/open, (depending on the size of the hernia). There appears with the laparoscopic procedure a decreased chance of infection, decreased pain and recovery time as compared to the open procedure. The type of procedure of course would depend on the size, surgeons preference, preference of the patient, etc. I hope you find this information helpful.
Click here!
Best wishes.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here