Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Lipoma extraction 4 years ago

hollnbrand - Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:13 pm

Female 31 yrs

Dx in 2002 with lipoma on upper R thigh. The surgeon recommended removal because it was growing at a quick rate. After removal, benign results, a 6 inch scar, and nerve damage, I was told it wouldn't come back. I cannot feel most sensations from the scar to the outside of the knee and I have hip pain and stiffness on the right side. I have now developed an even larger mass just below the incision site. Is it possible the pain and stiffness is related to the new mass? What other possibilities could it be?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:14 pm

The fibrosis occurred in the site of previously removed mass may result in nerve affection and neurological symptoms in the local area mainly distal to it.

The fact that you have developed new lesion is considerable and should be properly investigated. It may add more pressure on the underlying nerves and vessels.

But that fact that your symptoms are also present proximal to it, make it more likely to be due to more than a cause, as you mentioned in another section that you also have lumbar disc prolapse, this is also of consideration.

I advise you to follow up with your Doctor.
Keep us updated.

|