News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Problems following surgary

crbrooks - Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:12 pm

My mother had surgary for plantar Fascheites(sp?) on Feb 9. She visited her doctor on the 23rd for a two week checkup and because she was having some problems with her leg. It is swollen up to the knee, and she can't put any weight on it, which the surgon told her she should be able two after around two weeks or so. He checked her legs for blood clot by doing a doppler and said there were none. basicaly I'm wondering if there are any specific questions she should ask her doctor when she returns? or what the problem could possibly be.
 Marceline F, RN - Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:54 am

User avatar Dear CRBrooks,
There are many unanswered questions that are presented through your post regarding your mother's post surgical pain, swelling and questionable complications. While plantar fasciitis is not an uncommon complaint among adults today, surgical intervention is not as common. I would be interested in knowing several things in order to perhaps steer you toward the answers you are seeking: How old is your mother? Why was surgery the elected treatment option? Does she have other underlying medical problems? Is she a diabetic? Does she have peripheral vascular disease? Does she have any cardiac problems? What was the immediate post op period of time like for her? Was she compliant with the treatment plan? When the doctor "used a doppler", was it a hand held variety in his office or an official ultrasound of her leg done at a facility? What relieves (if any) her swelling? Is the leg/foot the same color as the other leg? If the doppler was not a formal ultrasound, I would certainly suggest that you consider asking your MD for a referral to the local outpatient clinic or the local Emergency Room to have that done. Your next course of action would be based on those results. If your doctor is not available to issue a referral, you may consider taking her to the local Emergency room and ask the ER MD to evaluate the leg.
Hope that is of some help.
Marceline
 scaredone - Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:10 am

I had a tubal 8 years ago.After the doctor took off the staples the wound was still open.He told me I had to stuff goze(my spelling isn't too good) into the wound.So for about 3 weeks I did.Then i returned to the doctor and he said he can stitch it up,but I hate needles so asked him if it would close up on its own.HE said it would but it would leave a bigger scare than usual.But he told me to cover it with goze and change it so often to keep it clean so it will heal faster.So I did.Well its been 8 years and the wound is still open.And i don't have the money to go see a doctor.What do I do?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:45 pm

User avatar Hi scaredone,
It would be very useful to us if you could send us a photograph of the unhealed incision so as to help us to understand your problem better.A persisting ulcer(of 8 years duration) ideally needs close inspection (and palpation) by a surgeon.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here