Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: medical substances that pose intellectual damage risk?

Dashtoronto - Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:57 pm

I didn't know where else to put this...so I put this question here..

Upon recent research I've been doing a long time ago. I came across this, on a case in shaken baby syndrome

"... on the misdiagnosis and effect that misdiagnosis has on the accused. of course, in many cases the abusive parent or w/e is guilty but sometimes the diagnosis can eb confused with soemthing else if the child had taken a vaccination shortly prior to the supposed "abuse""

"and the dtp vaccination has been proven to cause brain damage

"and have in some cases been confused for sbs."

Vaccination causes brain damage?
:
"some do. specifially the diptheria, pertussis (whooping cough) vaccine"

Why administer something that causes irreplaceable brain damage?

"well they finally found out that the pertussis portion of the vaccine is what causes brain damage so they now have a substitute.. "

---

Also, other research has shed light that drug use, marijuana, alcohol, opium: which is a element of morphine and other medical applications have risks of brain damage upon administration.

Even some very vital medical applications such as antidepressant medication use has been claimed to pose a risk of brain damage to the brain.

Also, it is hardly debateable that shock therapy doesn't inflcit damage upon the brain and the subject of shock therapy suffers mental relapses and significant mental function afterwards.

There was a famous writer, I forgot his name, that underwent shock therapy, and later claimed he lost his creative ability and his ability to write, compose words and concentrate. His ability to see creative visions clearly was eliminated permanently. He then committed suicide stating "congratulations, you have cured the disease, but you have killed the patient."

You see, I too am a very creative person. I would hate to lose my creative visions.

This is what scares me the most. To find I cannot compose creative thought because of lack of vividity of thought and creative vision. it is what is the most important part of me.

This is the whole reason I'm writing this post.

I know the medical community cannot make 100% guarantees and there's always a risk to everything.

The question is in particular, how does the medical community know and prove for certainty that medical substances and applications don't pose a risk to a patient's brain in the long term - so if that patient has a career in law or some other highly intellectual field - he begins to suffer a year down the road because of mental relapses that can never be repaired because of vital and necessary medical substances he relied on a year prior?

How does the medical industry test for things like that and know without a doubt, for certainty that there is no risk and completely 0% damage to the most vital organ in the body: the brain.

Can they be 100% certain?

So, my question is: if i go through surgery and need to depend on painkillers, a variety of painkillers such as morphine (most especially) and the other more powerful ones on a daily basis.

Is the risk any different if the painkillers are injected or injested? Cause maybe the liver defuses the harmful effects of the drug?
Like it does alcohol.

Cause I don't want to haveto go through surgery and depend on steady use of painkillers to ease through the process , only to find out down the road, that heavy dependency on painkillers have caused a significant impairment on function and clarity of memory and concentration, etc..

cause to be honest, i don't trust anything that goes into my body, that isn't food.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:54 pm

User avatar You've asked some very important questions that really everyone should consider before using any medication or undergoing any medical treatment. "How do I know this medicine or treatment is safe?"

Before drugs are allowed to be used they are extensively tested in studies to look first at are they safe and second are they effective. Based on this testing, decisions are made as to whether or not they should be used. After a drug is deemed safe for use, occasionally new effects become apparent when they are used on a broad scale that were not seen in the comparatively smaller safety studies. When these are found to be significant, the drug/treatment may be discontinued.

When diseases are more severe, more severe effects of medicines are sometimes tolerated in order to treat the disease. In the end it comes down to risks versus benefits. If the benefits outweigh the risks enough, the treatment/medicine may be used.

When you ask how we decide something is 100% safe, the answer is that we really never do. Somethings we know are very safe; however, with basically every medical treatment there is some degree of risk. The question then becomes are we as doctors and patients willing to take those risks in order gain the benefits of the treatment. Sometimes the answer is no and we must decide on a new plan of action.

Hope this helps answer your question some.

|