Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Hernia

conimus - Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:20 am

Can anyone tell me what the problems can be when someone has a paramedian hernia on location L1-L2 (right).

Thank you!

Best regards

Danny
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:26 pm

User avatar Hi Danny,
Disc prolapse in L1-2 may lead to signs of weakness in the right lower limbs (legs). It may also affect the nerve roots that leave the spinal cord at the its termination (cauda equina). This may be accompanied by sensory changes such as sensory loss and pain in the right leg.
 conimus - Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:31 am

A month ago my doctor has made a MRI-scan because I have serious pain on the front of my right upper-leg and the area that is a little higher.(I don't know how to call it in english)
The pain goes from my right upper-leg to my back. The pain get's heavier when I'm moving, take my clothes/shoes on/off, walking, sleeping, every move I make etc.
The feeling in that leg is not there. It feels dead...

The MRI says that there is a big paramedian hernia on L1-L2(right).

Can anyone tell me if the pain that I have is because of that hernia.
And what pain/problems comes normaly with this hernia on this location?

Best regards

Danny Mulderij
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:17 pm

User avatar Danny,
The symptoms you describe are a result of the disc hernia. You should seek your doctors help in deciding the best type of therapy for you. Hernias at that location may also lead to paralysis of the muscles of the right thigh and leg muscles.

|