Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Complications of Tonsillectomy

jmberry - Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:17 pm

My 18 year old daughter had a tonsillectomy a week ago today. Since the surgery she has been unable to swallow liquids unless she is laying down and holding her nose otherwise everything she tries to swallow comes out her nose. She is able to eat anything that she wants without problems it is only liquid that she is having a problem with. She only had a tonsillectomy, she did not have her adenoids removed. SHe is also now complaining of an earache which her dr. says is normal but he didn't even look in her ear. I am concerned about the problem swallowing and if the earache could be related to fluid getting into her ear since she has to lay down to drink. Any help is appreciated.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:24 am

User avatar I suspect that your daughter still has some swelling in her throat from the tonsillectomy that may be causing her difficulty with swallowing liquids.

The ear pain is very likely due to the surgery since the nerves that supply the ear are tied to the nerves that supply the mouth/jaw.

I would recommend that she follow up with her surgeon and discuss her symptoms. It may be recommended that she use a short course of steroids to reduce any swelling/inflammation.

|