Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Medication after rectocele/cystocele surgery?

Debbie100871 - Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:51 pm

Hi. I just had surgery for a rectocele and cystocele. They also repaired my perineal area, and re-tightened all my muscles in that area. Surgery took 3 and 1/2 hours. After surgery was extremely painful. They only offered me motrin, and then gave me 2 darvocet after I begged for them to help me out with the pain. I was sent home 6 hours after surgery, even though I was crying uncontrollaby from hurting so much. I never even received an ice-pack for discomfort. Shouldn't they have done something more for the pain? I'm not allergic to anything as far as I know of, and before surgery, had a very positive outlook. I thought after that kind of surgery, they would have had better pain management, and done something more?
 Eierannach - Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:25 pm

Hi....I had a rectocele and enterocele repair last fall. it was done open-abdominally and I was a lot more medicated than you were. In the hospital I had an epidural in addition to self-administered increments of fentanyl. I stayed on Percocet and advil for a few weeks and then added dilaudid and a muscle relaxant.
I'm surprised that they didn't give you more medication based on how much discomfort you were feeling!

|