Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: Cerrvical Fusion

bigred - Tue May 01, 2007 3:00 pm

I am a 57 year old female. I had an MRI on 3-27-07 that showed the following:
C6-7 there is a large central disc with anterior spinal cord compression. There is mild spinal cord edema at the C6-7 levels related to the spinal cord compression.

C5-6 there is a disc herniation and uncovertebral joint spur results in moderate narrowing of the right lateral recess and right neural foramen with impingement of the C6 nerve root.

C3-4 there is a small central disc without spinal cord compression

C4-5 there is minimal disc bulging and mild facet change

I have had intermittant should pain (thoracic area) for appx. one year. Sxs. increased after begining a water aerobics class.

Neurosurgeon want to repeat MRI since it was preformed in an Open Unit. He stated that he wanted to make sure what he was looking at was not "scatter".

My question is do you think this is a surgical problem? What procedure?

Current RX: Flexeril l0 mg.
Ultram 50 mg.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:21 pm

User avatar The concern is that if the disks are truly compressing the spinal cord significantly damage can occur. The surgery would relieve the compression.

However, if there is any doubt as to how involved the spinal cord is I would agree with further imaging studies.

In general, if possible, surgery on the spine should be avoided but sometimes there really isn't a better option.

|