Doctors Lounge - Surgery Answers

Back to Surgery Answers List

Forum Name: Surgery Topics

Question: pain....7 months after abdominal surgery

Eierannach - Thu May 10, 2007 9:48 am

first, I'm a 22 year female. Last october I had an laparatomy for a sigmoid resection/rectopexy, and an enterocele repair and cholecystectomy that was laparascopic-assisted.

It's been a long time, but the phannenestiel incision area is still very sensitive (ie I cannot lean on it and can touch it only gently) and the area below it on the right side is still completely numb.

Also, in the past two weeks I've noticed that during bowel movements, any small amount of straining produces kind of a stabbing pain throughout my lower abdomen. it's not terrible but just something I'm curious about.

is this normal? exactly how long is a "full" recovery from this surgery?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:47 pm

User avatar It sounds as if you are having some nerve related pain. It may be that some of the nerves supplying the area were cut during the operation (a known risk). Nerves can regenerate but they take a long time to do so.

7 months seems a bit long for pain from surgery; however, nerves do grow back quite slowly and your pain may still be related to this.

I would suggest that you talk with your surgeon to get his/her opinion. You may also want to see a neurologist or pain specialist as there may be specific therapies to help resolve your pain. If it is severe enough for you to want to take medications a medicine such as gabapentin is often a good choice for nerve type pain.

|